Ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of the series $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{n^{100}}$ using the ratio test. The limit of $\frac{n^{100}}{(n + 1)^{100}}$ is found to be $1$, but the limit of $\frac{2^{n + 1}}{2^n}$ is not needed. It is concluded that the series is expected to be divergent due to the exponential part being much greater than the polynomial part. This is confirmed by the fact that $\sum_{}^{} 2^n$ is divergent, even though $\sum_{}^{} \frac{1
tmt1
I have

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{n^{100}}$$

and I need to find whether it converges or diverges.

I can use the ratio test to get:

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{2^{n + 1}\cdot n^{100}}{2^n \cdot (n + 1)^{100}}$$

But I'm not sure how to get the limit from this.

I know the limit of $\frac{n^{100}}{(n + 1)^{100}}$ would be $1$. But how would I get the limit of $\frac{2^{n + 1}}{2^n}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{2^{n + 1}\cdot n^{100}}{2^n \cdot (n + 1)^{100}}$$

I know the limit of $\frac{n^{100}}{(n + 1)^{100}}$ would be $1$. But how would I get the limit of $\frac{2^{n + 1}}{2^n}$?
You don't need to worry about it.

\(\displaystyle \frac{2^{n + 1}}{2^n} = 2\)

-Dan

tmt said:
I have

I'm hoping that your intuition at least told you that you should be expecting the series to be divergent, as the exponential part would be a divergent geometric series, and this part will end up much, much greater than the polynomial...

Prove It said:
I'm hoping that your intuition at least told you that you should be expecting the series to be divergent, as the exponential part would be a divergent geometric series, and this part will end up much, much greater than the polynomial...

I suppose $2^n$ will be much greater than $n^{100}$, and $\sum_{}^{} 2^n$, is of course divergent, as $2 > 1$. So, even though $\sum_{}^{} \frac{1}{n^{100}}$ is convergent, it would be outpaced by $\sum_{}^{} 2^n$. Is this what you mean?

tmt said:
I suppose $2^n$ will be much greater than $n^{100}$, and $\sum_{}^{} 2^n$, is of course divergent, as $2 > 1$. So, even though $\sum_{}^{} \frac{1}{n^{100}}$ is convergent, it would be outpaced by $\sum_{}^{} 2^n$. Is this what you mean?

Exactly! :)

Related to Ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator

What is the ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator?

The ratio test is a mathematical method used to determine whether a series converges or diverges. It involves taking the ratio of successive terms in a series and checking if it approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges.

How is the ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator used?

The ratio test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. If the ratio of successive terms in a series approaches a finite limit, the series is said to converge and its sum can be calculated. If the ratio does not approach a finite limit, the series is said to diverge and its sum cannot be calculated.

What is an integer power of an in numerator?

An integer power of an in numerator refers to a term in a series where the variable is raised to an integer power and placed in the numerator. For example, in the series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16, the term 1/2 is an integer power of 2 in the numerator.

What are the steps for using the ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator?

The steps for using the ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator are as follows:

1. Take the ratio of successive terms in the series.
  2. Determine the limit of this ratio as the number of terms approaches infinity.
  3. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges.

What are some common misconceptions about the ratio test with an integer power of an in numerator?

One common misconception is that if the ratio of successive terms approaches a limit of 1, the series converges. However, this is not always the case as the test only applies when the limit is less than 1. Another misconception is that the ratio test can be used to find the exact sum of a series. This is not true as the test only determines the convergence or divergence of a series, not its exact sum.