Which trolley would turn in the smallest circle?

• Thread starter Dcoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation is discussing mechanical comprehension questions and resources for understanding mechanical concepts. The person asking for help is new to the forum and is looking for a brief explanation for the correct answer to a question. The conversation also includes a hint about the steering dynamics of a fire engine and the job of the rear driver in navigating turns. The suggestion is made to build models to better understand these concepts. The conversation ends with the person asking for resources to aid in their understanding.
Dcoz
Hi, my first post here is a simple one (hopefully) and is a from a series of mechanical comprehension questions I had been given.

I have no idea which one is correct. If you do know the answer would you be able to give a brief explanation to why it is?

Also, if anyone has any mechanical comprehension resources (such as test sheets with answers) I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Which-trolley-would-turn-in-the-smallest-circle.jpg
    Which-trolley-would-turn-in-the-smallest-circle.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You really should try to imagine which one would have the best/worst turning radius. It's a good exercise. Since you are new to PF and have successfully figured out how to attach the attachment, here's a clue: think about the steering dynamics of a very long fire engine and the job of the person behind the steering wheel in the back of the vehicle.

As a suggestion for getting a better physical understanding of mechanical concepts, you can start by building three models of the cars in the problem and observing firsthand how they work. Shouldn't take too long to do.

Thank you for your hint. I actually wanted to build these models to help prove it, but unfortunately having an open book exam on the 2nd, time is currently against me and now am just trying to continue to build my notes through examples.

It could just be a mental block, but sadly your hint means very little to me other than that the driver may potentially have to turn later to prevent the rear of the vehicle from going over the inside of the turn.

That is exactly the job of the rear driver! Without the rear driver, the turning radius would be huge and impossibly huge for navigating 90 degree turns on city streets. Three questions for you:
1. What direction must the driver orient the rear wheels (say with respect to the body of the vehicle) to do this correctly?
2. Knowing this, how does the direction of the rear wheels compare to the direction of the front wheels, during a turn.
3. Which model as the best chance of achieving this same front/rear directional mode? (hint: you should be able to rule one of them out, by now)

I never knew some fire trucks had two drivers, well at least I've never seen it here in the UK.

1. Not sure how to answer this directly, but I'm assuming questioning 2. will solve it.
2. They turn in opposite directions.
3. B.

Very good. Here is a relevant video to drive home the point:

Good luck with exams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you that video did really help! Just can't believe I couldn't answer that question after playing Halo.

Anyway thanks again!

Oh by the way did you have any resources along with the their solutions.

Not really. You should explore this site's learning materials, maybe some good references.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
I have used Schaum's Outlines and would recommend them if your textbook is not extensive enough for you.
http://www.mhprofessional.com/category/?cat=3959

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What determines the trolley's turning radius?

The trolley's turning radius is determined by its wheelbase, weight distribution, and the length of its steering arm.

2. Are there any external factors that can affect the trolley's turning radius?

Yes, external factors such as road conditions and the trolley's speed can also affect its turning radius.

3. Does the type of wheels on the trolley impact its turning radius?

Yes, the type of wheels on the trolley can impact its turning radius. For example, larger wheels will result in a larger turning radius.

4. Can the trolley's turning radius be modified or adjusted?

Yes, the trolley's turning radius can be modified by adjusting its steering mechanism, weight distribution, or by changing the wheels.

5. How do I calculate the trolley's turning radius?

To calculate the trolley's turning radius, you will need to know the trolley's wheelbase, weight distribution, and the length of its steering arm. You can then use a mathematical formula to calculate the turning radius.