Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which ultrasonic sensor for your face?

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    Ok so say i have an application that measures how close your head is to something.

I'm currently looking at ultra sonic sensors, I'm not sure which type to get. I am mostly worried about how accurate they will be. Say I'm measuring your head right now how far away it is from your monitor, i need the signal to bounce off your head, not anything in the background, so I'm guessing it has to be a narrow beam width.

Also, what are typical outputs of these things? I know they operate at frequencies higher than 20KHz, but is there a way they can still give you a headache if one is near your ear for extended periods of time??????

any input appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2
    Ok so i found some on this site:

which are way to expensive for what i need. Then i found some on www.mouser.com. but one of them is a transmitter/receiver, and in the data sheet it doesn't really say how to hook it up and it appears to only have two wires coming off of it, how could this work??????
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?