Which Ultrasonic Sensor is Best for Low Cost/Long Distance Proximity Sensing?

In summary: Eventually you can find an adaptive cruise control unit at the car scrapyard for cheap. Or some Lidar module but look out for the range.
tbader
I am new to sensors and am looking for an ultrasonic sensor with a range up to 16-18 feet for very low costs (<$10). Most sensors I have found for this project are pricey relative to the cost I imagined. Are these type of sensors the best option if I am looking for low cost/long distance proximity sensing. This sensor is used for proximity purposes and does not need high accuracy. Any advice is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did quick searches for ultrasonic sensors on Amazon and eBay. I found several devices <$10 and even one for $0.96.

anorlunda said:
I did quick searches for ultrasonic sensors on Amazon and eBay. I found several devices <$10 and even one for $0.96.
They all have very low detection ranges (~cm), I am looking for 'long distance' (16-18ft).

Optical systems work much better at that sort of distance . Could you just use a cheap ready made laser distance measuring device ?

tbader said:
They all have very low detection ranges (~cm), I am looking for 'long distance' (16-18ft).

Not all, this LED light claims 20 feet range for $8.99.
Waterproof LED Motion Sensor Light Wireless Security Light
I don't vouch for it. My point is only that you need to be a bit more diligent in your Internet serches.

tbader said:
am looking for an ultrasonic sensor with a range up to 16-18 feet for very low costs (<$10).
Can you say what the application is? What accuracy and resolution do you need?

Nidum said:
Optical systems work much better at that sort of distance . Could you just use a cheap ready made laser distance measuring device ?
I am open to any type of proximity device. The main constraints are price and range. Considering a lot of proximity sensors do not work through a solid medium, maybe a laser sensor would be better + I could conceal

berkeman said:
Can you say what the application is? What accuracy and resolution do you need?
Its for sensing large objects at a construction job. Looking for a range of 16-18ft and just for proximity purposes (not distance measuring). One of the constraints is making it very low profile which requires a small sensor. Dimension of the encasing is cylindrical with rough dimensions of 55 x 20mm/ 3.15" x 1.9" (D*T). Also trying to keep the sensor low cost (<$10). Accuracy and resolution are not much of a concern since it mainly is for larger object detection

tbader said:
Its for sensing large objects at a construction job. L

What do you require for the output of the sensor? A voltage change, say 0-5 V? A contact closure? An audible alarm?

What power will you provide? Batteries? 120 VAC?

Instead of proximity in any direction, could you detect an object breaking an infrared beam of light? If yes, then sensors similar to those used on garage doors might be appropriate?

The more specific you can be with requirements, the better the quality of the answers we can offer.

anorlunda said:
What do you require for the output of the sensor? A voltage change, say 0-5 V? A contact closure? An audible alarm?

What power will you provide? Batteries? 120 VAC?

Instead of proximity in any direction, could you detect an object breaking an infrared beam of light? If yes, then sensors similar to those used on garage doors might be appropriate?

The more specific you can be with requirements, the better the quality of the answers we can offer.
I honestly don't have any specifics as I am just learning and still trying to determine the best sensor around my constraints (price, range, and enclosure size). Either an audible alarm or visual light would be ideal. The power would be batteries as it is outside and often would be moved. From my understanding (which could be 100% wrong), garage door sensors require a receiver on the opposite side and I am looking to avoid that.

tbader said:
Its for sensing large objects at a construction job.
You do understand that the noise of a construction site will tend ot overwhelm the ultrasonic sensor, especially a cheap one.

You should consult your company's safety officer and insurance coordinator on this. What happens if the device fails temporarily -- could someone get run over?

Likes dlgoff
Is this for counting purposes or theft prevention?

I would suggest an IR or laser beam based sensor.
16 feet might require some optics as with this http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/100m-328ft-Laser-Distance-Measuring-Sensor-Module-For-Laser-Rangefinder/332374093749?hash=item4d630a2fb5:g:~uIAAOSw7U5Y9s5A
6 feet without optics and for 11$: Search on Ebay for "CJMCU-530 Laser Distance Measuring Sensor"

You might need a reflector on the other side, but that really is not difficult to setup.

Eventually you can find an adaptive cruise control unit at the car scrapyard for cheap. Or some Lidar module but look out for the range.

1. What is the purpose of an ultrasonic sensor?

An ultrasonic sensor is a device that uses sound waves to detect the presence, distance, and movement of objects. It emits high-frequency sound waves and measures the time it takes for the waves to bounce back to the sensor. This information is then used to determine the distance of the object from the sensor.

2. How accurate are ultrasonic sensors?

The accuracy of ultrasonic sensors can vary depending on the specific model and application. Generally, they have a range of accuracy between 0.5-3% of the measured distance. Factors that can affect accuracy include the quality of the sensor, environmental conditions, and the type of object being detected.

3. What are the advantages of using ultrasonic sensors?

Ultrasonic sensors have several advantages over other types of sensors. They are non-contact, meaning they do not physically touch the object being detected, making them ideal for measuring distance and movement without causing any damage. They also have a wide detection range, are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, and can be used in various environments, including harsh conditions.

4. Can ultrasonic sensors detect transparent or small objects?

Ultrasonic sensors work by emitting and receiving sound waves, so they are not able to detect transparent objects as the sound waves will pass through them. Similarly, they may struggle to detect very small objects as the sound waves may not bounce back to the sensor. In these cases, alternative sensors such as laser or infrared sensors may be more suitable.

5. How can I improve the performance of an ultrasonic sensor?

To improve the performance of an ultrasonic sensor, you can try adjusting the sensitivity or detection range settings. Additionally, ensuring that the sensor is properly calibrated, and there are no obstructions or interference in the environment can also help. Using a higher quality or more advanced model of an ultrasonic sensor can also improve its performance.