Who is the most influential scientist today?

• Thread starter Angel Penaflor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: I don't know of anyone who is singularly important to the exclusion of others.There are many important scientists, but I think one of the most influential scientists today is probably Ed Witten. He's a physicist who specializes in theoretical computer science, which is a relatively new field that's growing rapidly. He's also been involved in many groundbreaking research projects, and he's been awarded a number of prestigious awards.
Angel Penaflor
I've been reading about the life of different scientist like Newton, Albert Einstein and Ramanujan and a question came to my mind
Who do you think is the most important or influential scientist today?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is really a poor question, because there are so many areas of physics (or other sciences and mathematics, are related fields) in which an individual can practice, teach or otherwise contribute.

I don't know of anyone who is singularly important to the exclusion of others.

Likes Dragrath
Angel Penaflor said:
I've been reading about the life of different scientist like Newton, Albert Einstein and Ramanujan and a question came to my mind
Who do you think is the most important or influential scientist today?
Ed Witten

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
I agree, I don't think there isn't a single main scientist nowadays. Science is growing fast in all its branches, each in several directions and I don't see anyone at the forefront.

I agree with other responses that this is a poorly worded question, given the breadth and diversity of the fields of research within the different sciences. So no single scientist would be the most influential.

A better question might be who is the most influential physicist specializing in field X (e.g. solid state physics, statistical physics, optics, cosmology, atomic and molecular physics, particle physics, etc.) today.

You can make similar questions depending on other scientific fields.

Likes Evo and Dragrath
Maybe the easiest answer is that the most influential for any given year are those that win the Nobel prize?

Likes russ_watters
Ed Witten

Hornbein said:
Ed Witten
fourthindiana said:
Ed Witten
After seeing that 2 members here had given him the nod, I decided to find out a little more about Ed Witten, and I found this to-me-fascinating monologue:

At 22 minutes in, Ed Witten says:

In fact, the hardest part of research is always to find a question that's big enough that it's worth answering, but little enough that you actually can answer it.​

(k)NEWton

why would the most influential scientist be a physicist? so 20th century, physics is mostly over

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Who is considered the most influential scientist today?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and areas of study. However, some of the most commonly mentioned influential scientists today include Stephen Hawking, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Elon Musk, and Jane Goodall.

2. What criteria are used to determine a scientist's level of influence?

Some of the criteria used to measure a scientist's influence include their impact on their field of study, the significance of their research and discoveries, the number of citations their work receives, and their ability to inspire and mentor others in the scientific community.

3. How has the concept of influence in science evolved over time?

In the past, influence in science was often measured by an individual's contribution to a specific field or their number of publications. However, with the rise of technology and social media, influence can now also be measured by an individual's public presence, their ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to a wider audience, and their impact on popular culture and societal beliefs.

4. Are there any emerging scientists who may become influential in the future?

There are many emerging scientists who are making groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in their respective fields. Some notable examples include Greta Thunberg in the field of climate change, Jennifer Doudna in genetic engineering, and Katie Bouman in computer science and imaging.

5. Can the influence of a scientist be measured objectively?

While there are certain metrics and criteria used to measure a scientist's influence, it is ultimately a subjective concept. Influence can be perceived differently by different individuals and can also change over time. Additionally, the impact of a scientist's work may not always be immediately apparent and can take years or even decades to fully understand and appreciate.