Who sends more students to prestigious US grad schools?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nobelium102
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grad Schools students
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
nobelium102
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Waterloo or Toronto?
and what are better chances
math or physics

please don't bother lecturing me about "prestigious matters" "do what you wish"
i have already had headaches thinking about those

I was originally thinking UT can't send much people to US grad because of low GPA average
but seems like they have better research opportunity than waterloo
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really ride the name of your undergrad institution to get into a good graduate school. It's pretty much on you to get into a program you like.
 
If university A sends more students to prestigious grad schools than university B does, it's not because those grad schools favor students from university A just because they went to university A. It's because university A admits more students in the first place who are likely to go on to prestigious grad schools, than university B does.

Another way of putting this is, "Great schools don't make great students; great students make great schools."
 
well said well said,,,But i still don't know which one to go to hahhahh
 
nobelium102 said:
well said well said,,,But i still don't know which one to go to hahhahh

Find a coin. Flip it. Done.

Although on a more serious note, look at the departments and look at what looks interesting in terms of the research they're doing.
 
Pengwuino said:
Find a coin. Flip it. Done.

Although on a more serious note, look at the departments and look at what looks interesting in terms of the research they're doing.
I like the coin idea, but I don't think looking at what research is going on is the best way of going about it. At the point of only beginning your undergraduate studies, this would probably just confuse you more than it would help you. You don't have the knowledge to separate a good website from good research going on, and even if you did, you don't know what your interests are going to be in a few years' time and whether you'll be able to get involved there. I would just go to the University of Toronto, since Toronto as a city offers much more than Waterloo (granted, I haven't been to any of the two yet :biggrin:).
 
Ryker said:
I like the coin idea, but I don't think looking at what research is going on is the best way of going about it. At the point of only beginning your undergraduate studies, this would probably just confuse you more than it would help you. You don't have the knowledge to separate a good website from good research going on, and even if you did, you don't know what your interests are going to be in a few years' time and whether you'll be able to get involved there. I would just go to the University of Toronto, since Toronto as a city offers much more than Waterloo (granted, I haven't been to any of the two yet :biggrin:).

True. Go to UT.
 
I always thought UBC is better university for physics
 
Ashuron said:
I always thought UBC is better university for physics
Oh, out of the two he mentioned? :biggrin:
 
Ryker said:
Oh, out of the two he mentioned? :biggrin:
i am a she, thank you :)
 
A lot of universitys have graduate surveys, some include the universies the alumni go to,
you could write the universties and inquire about that if youa re really interested.
(or maybe It is even on their website, have you looked?)