Why are generalized momenta cotangent vectors in symplectic manifolds?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Manifold Symplectic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Messages
2,570
Reaction score
2
I've been reading about the abstract formulation of dynamics in terms of symplectic manifolds, and it's amazing how naturally everything falls out of it. But one thing I can't see is why the generalized momenta should be cotangent vectors. I can see why generalized velocities are tangent vectors, making the Lagrangian a function on the tangent bundle of configuration space. But then the book I'm reading claims that since:

[tex]p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i}[/tex]

it follows that pi is clearly a cotangent vector.

To me it seems like what pi is is a function assigning numbers to vectors in the "tangent space of the tangent space of a point in the manifold". Note that by what's in the quotes, I don't mean "the tangent space of the tangent bundle" (which would put the momentum in [itex]T^*(TM)[/itex] ), because it doesn't depend on the change in configuration.

But it also shouldn't be in [itex]T^*M[/itex] unless the Lagrangian is a linear function of velocity, so that its partial derivative with respect to velocity doesn't depend on your location in the tangent space, and so can be taken as a uniform linear functional on the tangent space. What am I missing here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]\dot{q}^i[/itex] are, at the point [itex]q[/itex] of [itex]M[/itex] labeled by the generalized coordinates [itex]q^i[/itex], components of the tangent vector

[tex]v = \dot{q}^i \partial_{q^i}[/tex]

of a curve in configuration space [itex]M[/itex].

The [itex]p_i[/itex] are, at [itex]q[/itex], components of a particular covector [itex]\omega[/itex] with respect to a particular basis of covectors. This covector [itex]\omega[/itex] is the covector naturally associated with the tangent vector [itex]v[/itex] by the metric [itex]g[/itex] that comes from the kinetic energy

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2} g_{ij} \dot{q}^i \dot{q}^j.[/tex]

In other words,

[tex]\omega \left( u \right) = g \left(v,u\right) = g_{ij} \dot{q}^i u^j[/itex]<br /> <br /> for all tangent vectors [itex]u[/itex] at [itex]q[/itex].<br /> <br /> Setting [itex]\omega = p_i dq^i[/itex] gives that [itex]\omega_j = g_{ij} \dot{q}^i.[/itex] But, if<br /> <br /> [tex]L = \frac{1}{2} g_{jk} \dot{q}^j \dot{q}^k - U \left( q \right),[/tex]<br /> <br /> then<br /> <br /> [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^j} = g_{jk} \dot{q}^k.[/tex][/tex]
 
Last edited:
Ok, my problem was that, unless the dependence of L on velocity is linear, the covector depends on [itex]\dot q[/itex]. An ordinary covector field is normally defined at each point on the manifold, not on the tangent bundle. But in fact with the momentum you do want a covector field on the entire tangent bundle, or more specifically, a map from the tangent bundle to the cotangent bundle, allowing you to replace the tangent manifold from Lagrangian mechanics with the cotangent manifold from Hamiltonian mechanics. I think I have it now, but please correct me if that sounds wrong. Thanks.