Why are rockets tethered before takeoff

In summary, the tethers are used to keep a constant supply of fuel to replace the part that boils off, and they also receive electric power from a tether. Depending on the flight, it could also be used for communications and telemetry.
Sami1999
Hi there,
Recently i was watching some rocket launches and was wondering why they are tethered before takeoff, after some searching i found out that they are used to keep a constant supply of fuel to replace the part that boils off. But is there any other uses for such tethers?

Likes david2
Physics news on Phys.org
They also receive electric power from a tether. This ends within minutes of launch. If you listen to the countdown sequence, you will often hear them call out when power is transferred from external power to the spaceships batteries.

Depending on the flight, it could also be used for communications and telemetry.

Thanks, and do you know the mechanism of disconnecting the tethers?(either the ones for fuels or electricity)

The ground connections (fluid and electrical) are typically made via 'Quick Disconnect' devices. The QDs that I've seen use a simple lanyard which actuates a release mechanism as the swingarm retracts. As you might imagine, some attention is applied to making sure that the lanyard is properly adjusted. It's important to run out of lanyard before you run out of hose.

ResearcherX said:
Recently i was watching some rocket launches and was wondering why they are tethered before takeoff, after some searching i found out that they are used to keep a constant supply of fuel to replace the part that boils off. But is there any other uses for such tethers?
When I first saw your question, I thought you were asking about the Hold Down Arms that are used to mechanically secure the rocket to the pad, and to hold the rocket down during launch until its engines are at full power. Hold Down Arms were invented soon after we started launching larger rockets where the engines take a couple of seconds to reach full power.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4204/ch13-4.html

m287a.gif

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_itiVWwTIQY/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• m287a.gif
    m287a.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 912
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 770
Likes BillTre and Sami1999
Thanks berkeman but do you know the detach mechanism for the tethers?
like these
search

ResearcherX said:
Thanks berkeman but do you know the detach mechanism for the tethers?
I can't see your image, but I think @Dullard answered that in Post #4. A Google search on Rocket Quick Disconnects gives lots of good hits. Here is a company that makes them (maybe download their brochure at the bottom of the page):

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/interconnect/products/custom_mil_aero_connectors/umbilical_connectors.html

upload_2018-10-19_9-58-39.png

upload_2018-10-19_9-59-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_9-58-39.png
    upload_2018-10-19_9-58-39.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 841
  • upload_2018-10-19_9-59-11.png
    upload_2018-10-19_9-59-11.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 782
Likes Sami1999
IIRC, there are lightweight magnetic versions in bio-medical use, so connecting surfaces are safely smooth. No sticky-out pins to mash or tethered cable to snarl...

Don't some smart phones now come with 'breakaway' magnetic charger / USB-C cables ?

Industrially, a quick search found Rosenberger MultiMag 15 Range. IIRC, there are other designs. YMMV...

Likes Sami1999
berkeman said:
Hold Down Arms were invented soon after we started launching larger rockets where the engines take a couple of seconds to reach full power.
I've always considered it a mark of Sergei Korolev's genius that the arms for the Soyuz/R-7 booster are "hold up" arms. It is my understanding that they have no active components and are weighted to automatically swing out and away when launch commences...pretty sweet engineering.

1. Why are rockets tethered before takeoff?

Rockets are tethered before takeoff for safety reasons. Tethering helps to stabilize the rocket and prevent it from tipping over during launch. This is especially important for larger rockets that may have a higher center of gravity.

2. How are rockets tethered before takeoff?

Rockets are tethered using strong cables or rods attached to the rocket and anchored firmly to the ground. These tethers are designed to withstand the force and weight of the rocket during takeoff.

3. Are all rockets tethered before takeoff?

Not all rockets are tethered before takeoff, but it is a common practice for larger rockets and space vehicles. Smaller rockets, such as model rockets, may not require tethering due to their smaller size and lower risk of tipping over.

4. What happens if a rocket is not tethered before takeoff?

If a rocket is not tethered before takeoff, it may be at risk of tipping over during launch. This can result in damage to the rocket, launch pad, and surrounding area, as well as potential injuries to people nearby. Tethering helps to prevent these risks and ensure a safe launch.

5. Do rockets always need to be tethered before takeoff?

No, not all rockets need to be tethered before takeoff. Some smaller rockets, such as model rockets, may not require tethering. However, for larger rockets and space vehicles, tethering is a safety measure that is often used to ensure a successful and safe launch.