Why are some people lactose intolerant?

• Thread starter koz124
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses lactose intolerance and why some people are able to tolerate lactose while others are not. It is mentioned that humans are not naturally meant to drink cow's milk, and that lactose intolerance is the result of the body stopping production of the enzyme lactase. This is a genetic mutation that allows for continued lactase production into adulthood, and is more common in North Europeans. However, the concept of being "supposed to" drink milk as adults is questioned, as lactose is lactose regardless of the source.
koz124
hokay well i was thinking the other day.. (as i do everyday) and well i thought why are some people more lactose intolerant.

my mum is a health know-it-all so i know that as humans we arent supposed to be drinking cows milk for starters

and spare me the genetic story.

i just want to know is it a problem with the gastric acids in your stomach, or the way you digest things?

thanks yall

Biology news on Phys.org
Actually the question is better posed in the opposite: Why are some people lactose tolerant?
The normal situation, or most common at least, in mammals is that we're lactose intolerant as adults.

The reason for lactose intolerance is that the body ceases production of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose (milk sugar). This is what usually happens in mammals as they mature.

Not sparing you the genetic story, the reason for lactose tolerance, is a genetic mutation that disables this shutdown, allowing lactase production to continue into adulthood. It's particularly common in North Europeans, and it's a very recent thing on the evolutionary scale. Only a few thousand years ago most North Europeans were also lactose intolerant.

So if anything we're not 'supposed to' be drinking milk at all, as adults. But it doesn't matter where the milk comes from - lactose is lactose. (although some milks contain less of it)

There are a few reasons why some people are lactose intolerant. First, as you mentioned, humans are not designed to drink cow's milk. Our bodies are not equipped to digest the lactose found in cow's milk as efficiently as other mammals. This is because we do not produce enough of the enzyme lactase, which is needed to break down lactose.

Additionally, lactose intolerance can be genetic. Some people are born with a genetic mutation that causes them to produce less lactase, making them more likely to become lactose intolerant.

Other factors that can contribute to lactose intolerance include age and certain medical conditions. As we age, our bodies produce less lactase, which can lead to lactose intolerance. Medical conditions such as celiac disease or Crohn's disease can also damage the lining of the small intestine, making it difficult for the body to produce enough lactase.

In summary, lactose intolerance is a result of our bodies not being able to properly digest lactose due to a lack of lactase enzyme production, genetics, or other underlying health issues. It is important to listen to your body and avoid consuming dairy products if you are lactose intolerant to avoid discomfort and potential health complications.

1. Why do some people become lactose intolerant?

Some people become lactose intolerant due to a deficiency in the enzyme lactase, which is responsible for breaking down lactose (the sugar found in milk and dairy products). This deficiency can be genetic or acquired later in life.

2. Is lactose intolerance a common condition?

Yes, lactose intolerance is a very common condition, affecting an estimated 65% of the world's population. It is most prevalent in East Asian, African, and Native American populations, while being less common in European populations.

3. Can lactose intolerance develop at any age?

Yes, lactose intolerance can develop at any age. While some people are born with a lactase deficiency, others may develop it later in life due to factors such as aging, illness, or injury to the small intestine.

4. How can I know if I am lactose intolerant?

If you experience symptoms such as bloating, gas, diarrhea, or stomach pain after consuming dairy products, you may be lactose intolerant. Consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis.

5. Is there a cure for lactose intolerance?

Currently, there is no cure for lactose intolerance. However, some people may be able to manage their symptoms by limiting or avoiding dairy products, taking lactase enzyme supplements, or trying lactose-free alternatives.