Why are standing waves on a guitar string sinusoidal?

In summary: Cosine waves can be created by adding a second harmonic to the sine wave, but this introduces additional complexity and unpredictability.In summary, the waves on a guitar string are sinusoidal, but they can be decomposed into other waveforms.
Bill Plates
Ok I understand the idea that a standing wave can be represented as the sum of two traveling waves going in opposite directions with same stuff but what I don't understand is why the waves on a guitar string are sinusoidal. I mean I know looking at them, they look sinusoidal but could they be represented by some other function that just looks sinusoidal. Could you form any other shape wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
resonance. The non-sinusoidal parts of the wave die out fairly quickly, leaving just the sinusoidal part.

Could you elaborate please?

They are not sinusoidal, there are plenty of harmonics = multiples of the the fundamental frequency = fractions of the fundamental wave length.

Depending on where you pluck the string you excite the harmonics with higher or lower amplitude, resulting in a harder or softer sound. Think of a Fourier decomposition of the initial triangular shape of the string while being plucked.

In general, however, Khashishi is right that harmonics decay faster such that after a while essentially only the fundamental is left.

M Quack said:
They are not sinusoidal, there are plenty of harmonics = multiples of the the fundamental frequency = fractions of the fundamental wave length.

Depending on where you pluck the string you excite the harmonics with higher or lower amplitude, resulting in a harder or softer sound. Think of a Fourier decomposition of the initial triangular shape of the string while being plucked.

In general, however, Khashishi is right that harmonics decay faster such that after a while essentially only the fundamental is left.

But the fundamentals and harmonics are always sinusoidal, right?

How can I find out more about harmonics decaying?

Yes, a Fourier series basically writes an arbitrary wave form as superposition of sinusoidals of many frequencies.

In an electric guitar, the bridge pickup is more sensitive to harmonics than the neck pickup. If you took the difference, Peter Green style, you would be quite sensitive to the harmonics but less to the fundamental.

If you have access to a numerical oscilloscope or if you can simply record the sound with a microphone and a sound card in your PC, you should be able to chop the sound into bits (say 0.1 seconds each) and calculate the Fourier transform of each bit. You can then compare the amplitude of the different harmonics from one bit to another. Unfortunately I cannot tell you which program would be able to do that...

Okay, thank you very much M Quack and Khashishi. I think I am closer to understanding this topic. Have a good day.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable in physics and math can clarify or correct, but I think...

Mechanically, simple harmonic oscillation is going to look sinusoidal because the momentum is subject to a force that varies with excursion from the central position. Least action principle is the minimization of the integral of momentum times distance... it is what determines which of all possible curves is actually made manifest.

Mathematically, it is sinusoidal waves that historically comprise the components of the Fourier because it was sine waves that were chosen as the "perspective". But an arbitrary wave (including a sinusoidal wave itself) can also be decomposed into cosine, or triangle, or square, or ramp, or impulse, or any other arbitrary waveform. The choice of the sine wave perspective for decomposition results in simpler results when the applications are subject to the least action principle.

bahamagreen said:
Mechanically, simple harmonic oscillation is going to look sinusoidal because the momentum is subject to a force that varies with excursion from the central position. Least action principle is the minimization of the integral of momentum times distance... it is what determines which of all possible curves is actually made manifest.

yes
bahamagreen said:
Mathematically, it is sinusoidal waves that historically comprise the components of the Fourier because it was sine waves that were chosen as the "perspective". But an arbitrary wave (including a sinusoidal wave itself) can also be decomposed into cosine, or triangle, or square, or ramp, or impulse, or any other arbitrary waveform. The choice of the sine wave perspective for decomposition results in simpler results when the applications are subject to the least action principle.

You need sine and cosine to decompose arbitrary wave forms.

There are many other sets of complete basis functions, e.g. Chebychev polynomials could be used for a string. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chebyshev_polynomials

Sine waves are chosen because there is a direct corrrespondance between the temporal frequency of the oscillation and the spatial wave length.

Likes olivermsun

What is a standing wave on a guitar string?

A standing wave on a guitar string is a pattern of vibration that occurs when two identical waves traveling in opposite directions along the same string interfere with each other. This creates a stationary pattern of nodes and antinodes.

Why are standing waves on a guitar string sinusoidal?

The shape of a standing wave on a guitar string is sinusoidal because it is the result of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude but traveling in opposite directions. This creates a pattern of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in a sinusoidal shape.

How does the length of a guitar string affect the standing wave?

The length of a guitar string affects the standing wave by determining the wavelength of the wave. As the length of the string changes, the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave also change. This affects the pitch and sound produced by the string.

Can the tension of a guitar string affect the standing wave?

Yes, the tension of a guitar string can affect the standing wave. As the tension increases, the velocity of the wave also increases, resulting in a shorter wavelength and higher frequency standing wave. This affects the pitch and sound produced by the string.

Why do different strings on a guitar produce different standing wave patterns?

Different strings on a guitar produce different standing wave patterns because they have different lengths, thicknesses, and tensions. This results in different wavelengths and frequencies, which affects the pitch and sound produced by each string.