Why are there so many posts about

• Thread starter Marenta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation seemed to revolve around the topic of why there are so many posts about women on the forum, with some participants commenting on the male dominance of the forum and others discussing stereotypes and generalizations about men and women. Ultimately, the conversation touched on the idea that individuals cannot be defined solely by their gender and that making assumptions about someone's complexity based on their sex is unreasonable.
dcpo said:
Gran Turino, really?
Really. He gives remedial lessons. If you find that ridiculously beneath you it would confirm you're not clueless and are, in fact, just trying your hand at moral entrepreneurship.
Clearly I have locked horns with a master debater and must retreat before I'm further embarrassed.
Cut out trying to make a niche for yourself by inventing problems for you to police.

Physics news on Phys.org
dcpo said:
Do you have anything of substance to say or shall we leave it here?

I think everything's been said. The pic is a bit of humour. And can certainly be interpreted as sexist and is definitely a generalization. (Though frankly, it had not occurred to me until Zooby pointed it out, that the sexism works both ways. That shows a bias in me.)

DaveC426913 said:
I think everything's been said. The pic is a bit of humour. And can certainly be interpreted as sexist and is definitely a generalization. (Though frankly, it had not occurred to me until Zooby pointed it out, that the sexism works both ways. That shows a bias in me.)
I agree.

To make this more interesting let's extend it to a different species and since I've had a great deal of experience with equines who have no agenda I'll share their gender differences.

Equine males are in general more friendly, have a much more highly developed sense of humor, are sweeter and more outgoing than the females. They also tend to be sillier and love to show off. (There are exceptions of course.) The females are more standoffish, harder to impress, and you'd better be worthy of their royal highnesses. There's a saying "Tell a gelding, ask a stallion and discuss things with a mare."

The males live in a bachelor herd unless they are lucky enough to find at least one female they can hold onto and keep the other males away from.

The boys play harder with each other, will take chunks out of each other, are very protective of their girls. The girls have a very very strict hierarchy but they don't generally cause injury - they threaten each other and will chase and bite one on the butt who is disrespectful.

So what they have is males who are the protectors from outside danger and the females who run things, know where the food is, the water, the dangerous places and who pass this information on by way of their female offspring.

Human males are also hardwired to protect their women, entertain them and keep them laughing. The females tend to connect a bit better in person in groups, share knowledge and problem solve in groups many times, as well as individually, and help each other find solutions to problems. Yes males do this at golf clubs etc. but aren't as likely to get as deeply involved as the women will.

The two genders work particularly well together to problem solve and keep everyone safe and happy. The variability within the genders is much higher than that between the genders so whatever the differences between genders, one can always find someone who differs from the norm in whatever direction one desires.

There are many other fascinating differences and similarities among and between the genders but first and foremost the INDIVIDUAL and individual characteristics must be considered and those who are most successful in having relationships with the opposite gender do both understand and LIKE both the similarities and differences between them and their person of interest.

This forum has on it some of the most fascinating and tolerant people I've ever encountered. Most of the men do like, respect and understand women because they see them as individuals, not a gender. The number of women in other fields has increased tremendously and I have no doubt those in physics and engineering will do so also.

So those of you who are annoyed by gender bias are "preaching to the choir" on this forum.

Regarding women trying to chase guys off and guys chasing women, true to a degree but more and more women are seeking out men with the characteristics they like (we have family members of both genders on major dating forums) and initiating contact with them and the guys are waiting to let the ladies make the first move. A bit like letting the lady smile at you before you initiate conversation as it was done in the "old days".

One more note - many people prefer to post gender neutral so I'd be willing to bet there are more women than you think on this forum.

20Tauri said:
I'm maintaining that you can't make generalizations about how simple or complex any person is based simply on biological sex.

It was a generalization for men, about women. If you look at the picture with your biased upside down you'll see men are simpletons.

Since you are not addressing this, I got to say your defense is biased towards women.

The image is neutral, your emotional reaction isn't.

(opps, guess I was pointing out the obvious)