1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why aren't interference filters also polarizers?

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    After all, the un-passed light reflects off a transparent medium with a definite index of refraction, right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think the only reason that you don't get significant polarisation is that the light strikes a polarising filter very near the Normal.
  4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    ...Well, I did get one answer...

Interference filters are poly chromatic, depending on viewing angle. Polychromatic, but not polarizing in any significant way.

Anyone else?
  5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The filters I use (dichroics) have different efficiencies depending on the polarization of the incident light (s- or p- polarization), so I expect they can indeed polarize the incident light somewhat. The polarizing efficiency of the dichroic filter is much lower than a polarizer, tho.

It's possible to design filters to have very high pass efficiencies for both the s- and p- states, so they would not induce any large amount of polarization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook