Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why bother with Astrophysics if we have String Theory?

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    If there is a "theory of everything", a single equation that basically explains everything, why should be study Astrophysics, Condensed matter, or so?

I mean we should rather study String Theory, Quantum Gravity... So, am I wrong? Maybe I'm leaving some important details.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There is no "theory of everything" at this time and string theory hasn't yet been shown to be correct. And even if there was a theory of everything, fundamental physical theories, while extremely important, are often impossible to use in calculations and models of large objects in their "raw" forms. The calculations are just too complex for us to compute. So we'd still have to make theories and models for astrophysics, condensed matter, and other areas that are less fundamental and more easily computable.

4. May 12, 2017 #3
    Ok, maybe the equation is just too complex. But Cosmology may easily be computed by this equation (I mean, is the "very" general view of the universe=, so no longer we'll require Astronomical observation to make models that predict this things, and therefore, there won't be more research on Cosmology. Right?

5. May 12, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Trying to make predictions about what a non-existent theory does is pointless. We'll have to wait and see if and when it happens.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook