Why can't an object move at the speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept that an object cannot move at the speed of light because c is constant in all reference frames and it would require infinite energy to reach it. The formula E=\gammamc2, where \gamma is the Lorentz factor, shows that as an object's velocity approaches c, its energy also approaches infinity. This is due to the fact that light always travels at c and an object cannot catch up to it, regardless of its speed.
emperrotta
I have looked through some of the threads which discuss the fact that an object cannot move at the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy. What allows us to state that it requires an infinite amount of energy? Is it because if an object were moving at the speed of light, then for:

E=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2

where [tex]\gamma[/tex]=1/[tex]\sqrt{1-(v/c)^{2}[/tex]

v=c. With v=c, there is no defined value for E.

You'll have to forgive me. I have not taken Calculus in 10 years. I am probably not stating this correctly.

Thanks for any further explanation people are willing to give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is not really that it takes infinite energy. The problem is that c is constant in all reference frames. Regardless of your speed relative to other bodies, light rays still pass you at c, so you can never catch up to them no matter how fast you fly.

emperrotta said:
I have looked through some of the threads which discuss the fact that an object cannot move at the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy. What allows us to state that it requires an infinite amount of energy? Is it because if an object were moving at the speed of light, then for:

E=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2

where [tex]\gamma[/tex]=1/[tex]\sqrt{1-(v/c)^{2}[/tex]

v=c. With v=c, there is no defined value for E.
For v exactly equal to c, E is undefined. But if you remember the idea of "limits" from calculus, it's also true that in the limit as v approaches c, [tex]\gamma[/tex] approaches infinite, so E must approach infinity too (meaning that you can make E become arbitrarily large by allowing v to get arbitrarily close to c).

ZikZak said:
The problem is not really that it takes infinite energy. The problem is that c is constant in all reference frames. Regardless of your speed relative to other bodies, light rays still pass you at c, so you can never catch up to them no matter how fast you fly.
We've discussed this before, but I disagree that you can explain why it's impossible to reach c without considering energy issues--if anyone's interested in seeing the previous discussion, look at this thread (ZikZak's post #5, my response in post #10, and more discussion from post #13 onward)

1. Why is it impossible for an object to move at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and the amount of energy required to accelerate it further also becomes infinite. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light, making it impossible for any object with mass to achieve.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and the amount of energy required to accelerate it further also becomes infinite. This would violate the laws of physics and is therefore considered impossible.

3. Why is the speed of light considered a universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered a universal speed limit because it is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This not only applies to objects with mass, but also to massless particles such as photons. No matter how much energy is applied, nothing can exceed the speed of light.

4. What would happen if an object were to reach the speed of light?

If an object were to somehow reach the speed of light, it would have infinite mass and require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This means that the object would essentially become frozen in time and unable to move. Additionally, as an object's mass increases, its length contracts and time slows down. At the speed of light, an object's length would contract to zero and time would come to a standstill.

5. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to measure vast distances in space and time, and provides a fundamental constant for many physical laws and equations. The fact that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light also helps to explain why we experience time and space in a particular way, and has led to many groundbreaking discoveries in physics and cosmology.