Why can't energy change abruptly?

In summary, the power output of a pulsed ultrafast laser can be increased by a large amount by increasing the power flux delivered over the brief pulse duration.
anhnha
Hi,
I want to ask your help about energy.
If energy E changes abruptly then power P = dE/dt = ∞. I would like to know why this is impossible?
I know that energy has to be conserved and they can only change from one form to the other. But why this process (transformation) can't change immediately?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any physical quantity changing abruptly in a real setup?

Can you imagine any setup where energy could change like that, without particles changing their position abruptly (which cannot happen)?

Now, I can't find out anything but I can't generalise it.
Can you imagine any setup where energy could change like that, without particles changing their position abruptly (which cannot happen)?
Yes, but in my mind :)

There is an uncertainty relationship between a change in energy of a quantum system and the time required for the transition. Perhaps that is of interest.

Now, I just read that the voltage across an ideal inductor and the current through an ideal capacitor can change abruptly.

anhnha said:
Now, I just read that the voltage across an ideal inductor and the current through an ideal capacitor can change abruptly.

Ideal components do not exist in real life.

anhnha said:
Hi,
I want to ask your help about energy.
If energy E changes abruptly then power P = dE/dt = ∞. I would like to know why this is impossible?
I know that energy has to be conserved and they can only change from one form to the other. But why this process (transformation) can't change immediately?

I work with very interesting lasers: average energy is quite low, about 1 watt, and the laser is pulsed: 1,000 pulses per second. Thus each pulse has about 1 millijoule of energy.

Not much, eh?

But this is an ultrafast laser, meaning that the individual pulses are very short - less than a picosecond in duration. In my case about 30 femtoseconds, or 3*10^-14 seconds.

Energy is delivered over an area; with adaptive optics this laser can be focused to a spot size of about one wavelength: 800 nanometers; round it up to 10^-4 centimeters (1 micron).

Putting this all together gives an energy flux of 10^-3 joules/pi*(10^-4 centimeters)^2 =
10^5 joules/cm^2/pi = 3*10^4 joules/cm^2.

Apply this energy flux over the very brief pulse duration and the power per unit of area is:
3*10^4 joules/cm^2/3*10^-14 seconds = 10^18 watts/cm^2. Actually we can do a bit better, and the actual output is slightly over 10^19 watts/cm^2.

This power flux is sufficient to generate electron-positron pairs when striking a metal target in vacuum - and has done so.

So you see that it is possible to increase power by quite a bit - but at each step the equipment becomes more specialized and expensive!

But like so many things, the scaling laws give less and less as you put in more and more - so unlimited power flux is beyond reach.

1. Why can't energy change abruptly?

Energy cannot change abruptly because of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, any change in energy must occur gradually in order to conserve the total amount of energy in a system.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy prevent abrupt changes in energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that any change in energy must be balanced by an equal change in another form of energy. Abrupt changes in energy would violate this law and result in an imbalance of energy in a system.

3. Can energy ever change abruptly?

In theory, energy can change abruptly in certain situations, such as in nuclear reactions or during explosions. However, even in these cases, the change in energy occurs over a very short period of time and is still subject to the law of conservation of energy.

4. How is the concept of energy conservation related to the concept of energy changing gradually?

The concept of energy conservation is directly related to the concept of energy changing gradually. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that any change in energy must occur gradually in order to maintain the total amount of energy in a system.

5. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy is considered a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all known cases. However, there are some theories that suggest exceptions to this law, such as the concept of dark energy, which is thought to cause the expansion of the universe. These exceptions are still being studied and are not yet fully understood.