Why can't I add the voltage drop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected readings of the ammeter and voltmeter for a circuit with given resistance and voltage values. The solution for the ammeter is given, but the voltmeter is causing confusion. It is determined that the voltmeter voltage is fixed by the two voltage sources and can be calculated by subtracting the voltage drops. The direction of the net voltage drops is important in determining the polarity.
flyingpig
Why can't I add the voltage drop??

Homework Statement

What are the expected readings of the ammeter and voltmeter for the circuit in the figure below? (R = 6.00Ω , ΔV = 6.00 V.)

p18-63alt.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solve for the ammeter, but the voltmeter is confusing me.

Sorry for the difference in pic size, Imageshack has gotten greedy and I can only attach some image files now

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/692/p1863alt.th.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP646619f154e92fe29514000016e30c7af875h3e4?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=20&w=152&h=56

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP318819f1579c665h3gc900001dbf341h0bihh22e?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=17&w=151&h=56

So IA = 0.395A = IC and IB = 0.0315789A

Since we are only concerned with the magnitudes, I am going to leave out the signs for now.

So the current flowing into the 10Ω resistor is 0.395A - 0.0315789A = 0.363A and current down the 5.0Ω is 0.427A

So 5.0Ω * 0.427A = 2.133V and 10Ω * 0.363A = 3.63V

3.63V + 2.133V = 5.763V

Apparently the answer is 1.50V, which suggests it is 3.63V - 2.133V = 1.50V

Or that we could do 6.00V - 4.50V = 1.5V

Now the question, what is the real solution? And?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The voltmeter voltage is fixed by the two voltage sources. So V = 6.00V - 4.50V.

Either way should work. They should give the same answer & they do.

No, but I am asking why. Because I thought I could get a equivalence voltage by adding the voltage drops, but I am not getting them

You have to pay attention to the directions of the net voltage drops on the resistors. The largest loop current flowing through a given resistor will tell you the polarity.

note: 3.63V - 2.133V ≈ 1.5V

1. Why is it important to account for voltage drop in a circuit?

It is important to account for voltage drop in a circuit because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit. If voltage drop is not properly considered, it can lead to inaccurate readings and potential malfunctions in the circuit.

2. How does voltage drop occur in a circuit?

Voltage drop occurs in a circuit due to the resistance of the conductors and components in the circuit. As current flows through these components, some of the energy is lost as heat, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

3. Can voltage drop be eliminated completely?

No, voltage drop cannot be eliminated completely in a circuit. However, it can be minimized by using larger conductors with lower resistance and reducing the length of the circuit. Other factors such as temperature and type of material used can also affect voltage drop.

4. How do I calculate voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop equals current multiplied by resistance. You can also use a voltage drop calculator or consult a reference table that provides voltage drop values for different conductor sizes and lengths.

5. What are the consequences of not accounting for voltage drop in a circuit?

The consequences of not accounting for voltage drop in a circuit can include inaccurate measurements, overheating of components, and potential damage to the circuit. It can also affect the overall efficiency and reliability of the circuit, leading to potential safety hazards.