Why Cant I Figure this stuff out

• Thread starter derekbeau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary: B. If the boat is in the exact same place and assuming the anchor does not displace a lot of water, the level will stay the same. If the boat is floating in the water and then the anchor is dropped, the boat will sink and the level will fall.
derekbeau
I need to tell wether the water level rises, falls, is unchanged, or cat tell. The father and son are in a boat wearing lifejackets.

The son pops a helium filled balloon that he is holding by a string.
(Id say unchanged since the balloon is floating in the air right)

The fisherman fills a glass with water from the pond and drinks it.
(No idea, but i would guess that it stays the same since the weight is being put back into the fisherman)

The fisherman lowers himself in the water and floats on his back.
(Raises because more water is being displaced now?)

The son gets in the water and pops the floating helium ballon
(Raises because the son is displacing water?)

The fisherman knocks the tackle box overboard and it sinks to the bottom.
(Falls because the tacklebox was floating in the boat, now it is skinking to the bottom and displacing less water)

The fisherman lowers the anchor and it hangs one foot above the bottom of the pond
(Falls, same reason as above)

but my answer is wrong and I dontknow where, please help

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
derekbeau said:
I need to tell wether the water level rises, falls, is unchanged, or cat tell. The father and son are in a boat wearing lifejackets.

(No idea, but i would guess that it stays the same since the weight is being put back into the fisherman)

(Falls because the tacklebox was floating in the boat, now it is skinking to the bottom and displacing less water)

The fisherman lowers the anchor and it hangs one foot above the bottom of the pond

Thankyou

you are confusing the concepts of weight and volume.

i don't understand, the only area where i mentioned weight was in the glass of water, i tried all possible answers for that one, but there are other ones wrong

could you tell me a set of rules or explain it more so that i can understand it better?

thanks

Ok i have revised my answer but it is still wrong, could you please tell me which ones are wrong

im confused on this one

unchanged because the displacing bodies are still the boat + the fisher

unchanged because the displacing bodies are still the boat + the son

(Falls because the tacklebox was floating in the boat, now it is sinking to the bottom and displacing less water)

unchanged because the anchor is still pulling the boat down

this is the only problem i am still having trouble with, I've been reading as much as i can on the internet and can't seem to get the correct answer, if anyone could explain each situation to me, that would be great

can anyone help?

well this question is due in 8 hours and I still can't figure it out. This will be the last time i bump it up to try and get an answer. Can i please get some help here?

OK:
If the amount of weight that's being floated increases, the water level rises. If the amount of weight being floated decreases, the water level drops. If the amount of weight being floated doesn't change, then the water level stays the same as well.

All you have to figure out is if more weight, less weight, or the same amount of weight is being floated.

Can someone please check my answers? There are the choices Rise Falls Stays the same and Cannot Tell.

A) The fisherman fills a glass with water from the pond and drinks it.

Water level is Same?

B) The fisherman lowers the anchor and it hangs vertically, one foot above the bottom of the pond.

Water level is Same?

C) The fisherman lowers himself in the water and floats on his back

Water level is Same?

D) The nephew pops the balloon.

Water level is Same?

E) The nephew gets in the water and loses his grip on the string, letting the balloon escape upwards.

Water level is Same?

F) The fisherman knocks the tackle box overboard and it sinks to the bottom

Water level Falls?

Last edited:
D) The nephew pops the balloon.

Water level is Same?

E) The nephew gets in the water and loses his grip on the string, letting the balloon escape upwards.

Water level is Same?
These are essentially identical. Imagine the balloon being very large, to the point it's almost lifting the boat out of the water. In that case, it becomes obvious that the balloon is reducing the weight of the boat and thereby the water displaced, so when popped, the boat sinks a bit into the water and the level rises. Same holds true of the smaller balloon. Pop the balloon and the level rises.

Your other answers are good Hotmail.

derekbeau said:

Thankyou

You need to define what you mean by water level. It has to be measured relative to something. If it is the level of water relative to the boat it is a completely different problem than if it is being measured relative to something independent of the boat.

1. Why is it difficult for me to understand scientific concepts?

There are several reasons why you may be struggling to understand scientific concepts. It could be due to a lack of prior knowledge or background in the subject, the complexity of the material, or your learning style may not align with the teaching method being used. It is important to identify the specific areas that are causing difficulty and seek help from a teacher or tutor to better understand the material.

2. How can I improve my understanding of scientific concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of scientific concepts is through practice and repetition. Try to engage with the material in different ways, such as reading, writing, and hands-on activities. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, studying in a group, and using visual aids can also aid in improving your understanding.

3. Is it normal to struggle with certain scientific concepts?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with certain scientific concepts. Science is constantly evolving and can be complex, so it is natural to have difficulty grasping certain ideas. Remember to be patient with yourself and keep working at it, as understanding will come with time and effort.

4. How can I overcome my fear of asking for help with scientific concepts?

It is common to feel intimidated or embarrassed to ask for help with scientific concepts, but it is important to remember that seeking help is a sign of strength and determination to understand the material. You can start by asking a trusted teacher or friend for assistance, or seeking out online resources. Remember, no question is a stupid question.

5. How can I stay motivated when I am struggling with scientific concepts?

Staying motivated can be difficult when you are struggling with scientific concepts, but it is important to remember your end goal and the importance of the material. Set achievable goals for yourself, take breaks when needed, and reward yourself for your progress. Also, try to find ways to make the material more interesting or relevant to your life to help keep you motivated.