Why Can't I Use Torque = Ia for Calculating Pulley's Inertia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia Moments
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kp
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
once again I have succeeded in confusing myself about basic angular motion...:confused:

If I have a pulley of with an unkown moment of inertia, and a bucket hanging from the pulley with a known mass, height, and acceleration in which it falls. Why can't i use:

Torque = Ia
rf = Ia
r * mg = Ia
r*mg/a = I

or can I, because when i use conservation of energy

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and solve for I, i get different answers.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
kp said:
Torque = Ia
rf = Ia
r * mg = Ia
r*mg/a = I
This assumes that the force exerted on the pulley equals the weight of the hanging mass. Not true. The force does equal the tension in the cord. (If the force exerted on the pulley equalled the weight of the hanging mass, then by Newton's 3rd law the mass would be in equilibrium.)