The aether can be assumed to be stationary with the Earth moving through it. When the Earth is moving through it, the beam in one arm will first travel in the direction of the Earth's motion with the beam traveling upstream through the aether, but upon its return it travels downstream. (If you look carefully at the Michelson interferometer, you will see the beam on one arm first travels in one direction but upon reflecting off of the mirror it travels over the same path in the reverse direction.) The other beam at right angles travels both times across the stream. Travelling across the stream puts some extra distance also, but if my quick calculations are correct, the upstream path adds enough extra time to the path than is saved by the downstream path, so that the cross stream path is somewhat shorter in time. (I saw this derivation many years ago when I studied the topic. I don't recall the final answer, but I think I have it correct here.)