Why Did My Wire Burn When I Turned On the Switch?

In summary, the conversation reveals that a wire connected from a MAIN BUS BAR to the top side of a switch burned immediately when turned ON, and the wire connected from the bottom side of the switch to the BUS BAR needing power slowly burned. The potential cause is that the wiring was reversed, with the hot wire connected to the wrong side of the switch, causing it to heat up and bypass the switch, leading to resistance and slow burning of the wire. However, it is advised to call an electrician for assistance as the issue cannot be resolved remotely.
exp6
TL;DR Summary
MAIN BUS BAR wire to SWITCH burnt when switched ON and the other end of switch wire to the BUS BAR needing power slowly burnt.
Hello,

I am wondering why a wire that was connected from a MAIN BUS BAR to the top side of a switch and when turned ON burnt immediately and the wire connected from the bottom side of the switch to the BUS BAR needing power slowly burnt.

I'm thinking the wiring was reversed- Correct me but I think that the hot wire was connected to the side of the switch where power was supposed to go out and that causes the wire to heat up and it somehow bypassed the switch and was now feeding power on the other end of the switch and was slowly cooking the wire because there was resistance. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
exp6 said:
Summary:: MAIN BUS BAR wire to SWITCH burnt when switched ON and the other end of switch wire to the BUS BAR needing power slowly burnt.

Hello,

I am wondering why a wire that was connected from a MAIN BUS BAR to the top side of a switch and when turned ON burnt immediately and the wire connected from the bottom side of the switch to the BUS BAR needing power slowly burnt.

I'm thinking the wiring was reversed- Correct me but I think that the hot wire was connected to the side of the switch where power was supposed to go out and that causes the wire to heat up and it somehow bypassed the switch and was now feeding power on the other end of the switch and was slowly cooking the wire because there was resistance. Thank you!
Yikes! Please call an electrician right away. There is no way we can help you figure this out remotely. Thread is closed.

Likes davenn

1. What causes a burnt wire when a switch is turned on?

There are several potential reasons for a burnt wire when a switch is turned on. Some common causes include overloaded circuits, faulty wiring, loose connections, and short circuits.

2. Is a burnt wire a serious issue?

Yes, a burnt wire can be a serious issue as it can lead to electrical fires, power outages, and damage to appliances or devices connected to the circuit. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

3. How can I prevent wires from burning when I turn on a switch?

To prevent wires from burning, make sure to use the appropriate gauge of wire for the circuit, avoid overloading circuits, and regularly check for any loose connections or damaged wiring. It is also important to have a qualified electrician inspect and maintain your electrical system regularly.

4. Can I fix a burnt wire myself?

It is not recommended to fix a burnt wire yourself unless you are a trained and qualified electrician. Attempting to fix it yourself can be dangerous and may cause further damage. It is best to seek professional help to ensure the issue is properly addressed.

5. How can I tell if a wire is burnt?

A burnt wire may have a black or brown discoloration, a melted or charred appearance, or emit a burning smell. It is important to regularly inspect your electrical system for any signs of damage or wear and tear.