1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why did you leave graduate school?

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    This question is geared towards anyone who started off graduate school, but decided not to continue. I especially want to hear from physics people, but anyone!

After reading some threads and stumbling on an article that had short anecdotes of people who decided to leave graduate, I sort of wanted to hear from more people.

This is the article: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/445...ph-d-students-reflect-on-why-they-jumped-ship

This , in particular, from the article echoes often:

"Though I had dreams of going into academia, I noticed that the instructors never discussed any other type of career path for us. At the same time, they would talk about how bleak the academic job market was. Then I began to question whether I would be able to land a job when I started applying for faculty positions. If they didn’t have hope, I thought, why should I?"

Also this very recent thread requirements for career in academia: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-requirements-change-in-recent-years.788165/

For the record, I am still applying to graduate school: PhD Physics and Master's in Engineering. I have not completely decided which career path to take so I am just giving myself options.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Money, a job/career, and a daughter on the way.

Update/Edit: I should add that my first job out of grad school was a unique opportunity (including frequent travel to Europe and Asia, as well as throughout the US), which lead to other unique opportunities through some invaluable experience.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    I left because it wasn't justifiable to continue. The years of additional work didn't appear to result in much improvement in either my job prospects or my personal well-being. I decided a masters was the sweet spot and headed out.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4
    Thank you for the responses! I'm glad I am taking more time to figure out my career this time around. Didn't spend too much time on this when I was in undergrad.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #5

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know/knew several people who have gone on to interesting careers after leaving graduate school sans PhD. I think in most cases, the people who don't finish are the ones who see that for what they really want to do, the PhD does not matter. The people I know/knew went to work for tech companies [Amazon and Wofram in their early days...] In the private sector, I believe that you are judged much more for what you can do, not the beauty of your credentials.

The PhD matters most for jobs where the "credentialism" is important -- higher ed; some government jobs, some private sector jobs, etc. Having a PhD is also no longer a guarantee of employment into the positions where it is required.

Bottom line: People should do the PhD because they want to do the PhD. It is no guarantee of a particular job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook