Why Do Air Crash Investigations Bring Out Such Strong Emotions?
- Thread starter wolram
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
83 replies · 14K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Well apart from the odd bit of dust in my eye at the end of films, I haven't cried since I was 18. I believe it's because either I am dead inside or just a bloke, one of the two. Still I haven't cried over anything real for 17 years, I had a lot of dust in my eye at the end of The Colour Purple.
VashtiMaiden
- 35
- 0
It's ok if a man cry... :) so don't cry
VashtiMaiden
- 35
- 0
I cry once or twice or thrice a year... Believe it or not?
pace
- 240
- 1
I cried to Jerry Springer when I was 16 or something when I was at my friends place, I couldn't watch it and had to leave, heh.
Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
He had bloat. I had a needle.lisab said:Wow!That's cool! So what was wrong with the fish? Are you a biologist?
pssssss...
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
DaveC426913 said:He had bloat. I had a needle.
pssssss...
I did the same thing to my Lucy. She survived, but I don't think the surgery worked. So one day when I knew she didn't have long to go, I took her and her husband Ricky for a walk in the Columbia River. Everyone had a grand time. Ricky died the next day. Lucy a week later. But still no tears. I knew she had lived a good life.
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
wolram said:Just for the technical side i like to watch air crash investigation, it has all ways been an interest to me as to how things can fail, but i seem to be getting all sissy and weeping
watching the programs, surly this not natural for a male.
no true man weeps
TVP45
- 1,041
- 5
Did you, by chance, see Brett Favre's goodbye speech the other day. I wouldn't call a Packer a sissy (unless from a long distance), but there were a bunch crying.
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
marlon said:no true man weeps
True if we do cry it's without blubbing and sans handkerchief. A manly tear rolls down our cheek, occasionally, but that's about it. We certainly don't get lots of hugs and sympathy, it's a very private affair between a man and his respective passions.
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Schrödinger's Dog said:True if we do cry it's without blubbing and sans handkerchief. A manly tear rolls down our cheek, occasionally, but that's about it. We certainly don't get lots of hugs and sympathy, it's a very private affair between a man and his respective passions.![]()
Truer words were never spoken, man...
marlon
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
Well it seems i am not as hard as i thought i was, i must work on this weakness, may be i should watch party political programs instead of disaster related topics.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
wolram said:Well it seems i am not as hard as i thought i was, i must work on this weakness, may be i should watch party political programs instead of disaster related topics.
Maybe it was that "notaflu" you had that made your insides all mushy.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
Moonbear said:Maybe it was that "notaflu" you had that made your insides all mushy.
May be, how can anyone reconcile being mortal?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
OmCheeto said:I've lost 47 goldfish to date and have yet to shed a tear. Is there something wrong with me?
Yes, you seem to be prone to misplacing your goldfish.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
DaveC426913 said:*whom I wrote a poem for:
"I like Spike."**
**What? I didn't say it was a good poem. I'm a fish buff, not a poet.
Oh, my wet pet.
-Author Unknown
Google "fisherman poetry". You can be both.
VashtiMaiden
- 35
- 0
Is this men's talk?
jobyts
- 226
- 60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zougs8e5PQA&feature=related
I almost shed tears while watching this video. Anyone else?
I almost shed tears while watching this video. Anyone else?
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
This thread sucks because it's insulting to men, hence : THREAD LOCKED
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Moonbear said:If a guy DIDN'T cry over losing a pet, I'd think something was seriously wrong with him!
Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Oh, Ivan, I am so sorry. When my cat Bob died, I was in bed crying for two days. She was so special. When she had kittens, she came and got me, and wouldn't give birth unless I sat next to her the entire time. She suffered a brain concussion during the last litter she had, either a car accident , or kicked in the head by a horse. I found her staggering home and soaked to the bone. She had one dilated pupil that indicated a concussion. She'd also been attacked by some cruel kids that shoved a stick into her abdomen.Ivan Seeking said:Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
When she died, she collapsed and died in the street in front of me trying to make it home.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
Ivan Seeking said:Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat Ivan.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
Ivan Seeking said:Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
I am very, very sorry to hear this news about your sweet Einstein.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
How heartbreaking! I love my kitty soooo much, I can't imagine losing her.
Ivan, I'm so sorry. It sounds like he had a healthy, long life. My sympathies to you and Tsu. I lost my beloved kitty, Mr. Jones, by being hit by a car.
Evo, your story made me want to cry! I hate cruelty so much. It's the quickest way to get me totally irrational. Reading your story made me think of all the ways I would pummel those damn psychopathic kids! I'm so sorry!
Ivan, I'm so sorry. It sounds like he had a healthy, long life. My sympathies to you and Tsu. I lost my beloved kitty, Mr. Jones, by being hit by a car.
Evo, your story made me want to cry! I hate cruelty so much. It's the quickest way to get me totally irrational. Reading your story made me think of all the ways I would pummel those damn psychopathic kids! I'm so sorry!
CaptainQuasar
- 372
- 0
wolram said:May be, how can anyone reconcile being mortal?
Kurdt said:Alcohol is nice.
This is one of my favorite quotes:
“Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.”
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.”
· A.E. Houseman
⚛
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Thanks all. Yeah, he was a really great kitty - very loving, extremely smart, completely attached to both Tsu and I as we were both completely attached to him. After seventeen years of his ever-presense in our lives it will be difficult to get used to this. That's a lot of years of reaching up while half asleep and knowing that he'd be there.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Please accept my condolensces Ivan.Ivan Seeking said:Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
That's cool! So what was wrong with the fish? Are you a biologist?