Why Do Eigenvalues of A+B Equal the Sum of Eigenvalues of A and B?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
tatianaiistb
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I solved a problem that asked me to show that the sum of the eigenvalues of A+B equals the sum of all the individual eigenvalues of A and B, and similarly for products. I just would like to know why is this so...


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Is it because we're combining A and B?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention A and B are 2 by 2 matrices
 
tatianaiistb said:

Homework Statement


I solved a problem that asked me to show that the sum of the eigenvalues of A+B equals the sum of all the individual eigenvalues of A and B, and similarly for products. I just would like to know why is this so...
Since you solved this problem, then you should know why this is so.
tatianaiistb said:

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Is it because we're combining A and B?