Why do I perform badly at the Informatics Olympiad?

In summary, don't quit programming because you don't make it to the finals of an Olympiad. If you want to do well, prepare for it and don't give up.
esolol
I am a girl and I like computer science and I always do a variety of things, e.g., artificial intelligence, web development, but when it comes to competitive programming or informatics olympiad competitions, i just suck at them, i participated in them for like 2 years already and I never enter the final round... Should i quit programming?

Likes sysprog
Physics news on Phys.org
Olympiads are (in)famous for being extremely challenging. If you fail, don't beat yourself up, simply try again and enjoy the process of preparing for it. Excelling at an Olympiad depends on way too many factors, out of which most are out of your control.

I prepared for the physics Olympiad for almost 2 years, I never made the national team to compete in the IPhO. But winning is never the point of any Olympiad, it's being introduced to topics and problems that a HS student would normally not be exposed to in their standard course studies.
Even though my Olympiad days are behind me now, I would do it all again. I met wonderful people along the way and most importantly I thoroughly enjoyed learning and solving elegant physics problems, that I other wise would have never encountered.

Never loose hope, there are tons of hackathon's that you can participate in beside Olympiads, you might win some and loose some but at the end of the day all that should matter is you enjoying the journey.

tl;dr, DON'T QUIT! because of not entering the final round. Continue to solve tough problems and writing beautiful code.😀

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and sysprog
esolol said:
I am a girl and I like computer science and I always do a variety of things, e.g., artificial intelligence, web development, but when it comes to competitive programming or informatics olympiad competitions, i just suck at them, i participated in them for like 2 years already and I never enter the final round... Should i quit programming?
Heck no, don't quit programming unless you decide that you really don't like programming ##-## the computer doesn't know whether you've won competitions, or have advanced degrees ##-## as a programmer, you already know this ##-##

As a kid programmer in the '70s, I found out at age 12 that I wasn't as good as Prof. Donald Knuth is at programming ##-##

(Prof. Don is the inventor of ##\TeX## and the author of The Art of Computer Programming ##-## please don't let that magnum opus discourage you ##-## it's very advanced, and please understand that Prof. Knuth wrote it to help computer scientists and programmers to understand things better and to write elegant code; not to convince people that it's too hard and that they should quit),​

but I didn't take that as discouragement ##-## I understood that I didn't necessarily have to be one of the world's top 100 best supernerds to make good contributions ##-## sometimes coding can feel like tedium and drudgery, but building systems and solving problems and writing good working code can be very rewarding, mentally and materially ##-## hang in there, girl ##\dots##

A guy I was tutoring in programming in the early '80s said something that was very gratifying to me: he said he liked my 'don't just give up' attitude ##-## he had tried to compile a fairly simple PL/1 (that's an IBM mainframe programming language) program, and the compiler had issued dozens of error messages (the PL/I compiler is not terse and not shy about issuing multiple error messages) ##-## I guided him through reading and interpreting just the first few messages, and addressing the associated issues ##-## the next time he tried the compile there were a lot fewer messages, and after more working and thinking, soon enough there were no more compilation errors ##-## then it came time to make sure that the output was correct ##-## and so on.

For me at least, programming is more about competing against the problem; not so much about trying to be a better programmer than other programmers ##-## some of the best programmers I know are very collaborative ##-## they can code very well solo, but they can't write a million lines of working code in a year or two ##-## big projects require programmers of different levels of sophistication ##-## competitions can be excellent motivators and can help us to find exceptional talent and skill, but we need programmers at all levels of brilliance ##-##

Most of the code that we're using to read and post on this forum was written by 'regular' programmers ##-## and the 'superstars' would not have many ways to present their superstar work without the huge amount of work done by regular programmers ##-## and I think that at all levels of ability, the discipline of programming helps to cultivate habits of clear thinking.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Hamiltonian
esolol said:
when it comes to competitive programming or informatics olympiad competitions, i just suck at them, i participated in them for like 2 years already and I never enter the final round... Should i quit programming?
You probably will cook, play sports, and do professional things during your entire life without entering competitions about them; and even less excelling at all these things. If you are satisfied with your work and even others appreciate it, why would you quit?

esolol said:
I am a girl
What's that got to do with anything?

Likes vanhees71

1. Why do I struggle with problem-solving at the Informatics Olympiad?

There could be several reasons why you struggle with problem-solving at the Informatics Olympiad. It could be due to a lack of practice, inadequate knowledge of programming concepts, or difficulty in applying algorithms to solve problems. It is important to identify the specific areas where you struggle and focus on improving them through practice and seeking help from experienced programmers.

2. Is it necessary to have prior experience in coding to do well at the Informatics Olympiad?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in coding to do well at the Informatics Olympiad. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and some practice in coding can be beneficial. The key to success at the Olympiad is problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically and logically.

3. How can I improve my performance at the Informatics Olympiad?

To improve your performance at the Informatics Olympiad, you can focus on practicing problem-solving and coding regularly. Additionally, you can participate in mock contests and seek guidance from experienced programmers. It is also important to stay updated with the latest programming languages and techniques used in the Olympiad.

4. What are some common mistakes that lead to poor performance at the Informatics Olympiad?

Some common mistakes that can lead to poor performance at the Informatics Olympiad include not reading the problem statement carefully, not understanding the given input and output format, and not considering all possible test cases. It is important to pay attention to details and think critically when solving problems at the Olympiad.

5. Is it normal to struggle with certain types of problems at the Informatics Olympiad?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with certain types of problems at the Informatics Olympiad. Each problem is unique and requires a different approach to solve it. It is important to not get discouraged and keep practicing to improve your problem-solving skills. With time and practice, you will become more comfortable with different types of problems.