Why do Indians prefer Verma's textbook for physics Olympiad preparation?

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date
In summary, Verma's textbook is good for studying Photoelectric effect and thermodynamics but aint much good for electrodynamics. Newer versions of the textbook are better, but Introduction to Electrodynamics By DJ Griffith is still a good book to use.
RubinLicht
My question would be regarding the differences between these textbooks. What does each textbook do well? What are each books weak chapters? Difference between old resnick and new resnick? And why do Indians fanboy/girl over Verma's textbook and should I use it?

I am preparing for physics Olympiad in the US, this is my first time doing it and I am in eleventh grade, i have finished studying all the mechanics chapters in kleppner and kolenkow, and am about to proceed onto studying other topics in one or two of the above textbooks in preparation for usapho. Thank you for your time and advice, and have a great day!

Physics news on Phys.org
While you're waiting for a response, try a forum search (top right of this page) for "ipho". We often get questions about preparing for it.

well HC verma's is good for studying Photoelectric effect and thermodynamics but aint much good for electrodynamics. As for resnik the newer the version the bettter but I would recommend Introduction to electrodynamics By DJ Griffith.

RubinLicht said:
My question would be regarding the differences between these textbooks. What does each textbook do well? What are each books weak chapters? Difference between old resnick and new resnick? And why do Indians fanboy/girl over Verma's textbook and should I use it?

I am preparing for physics Olympiad in the US, this is my first time doing it and I am in eleventh grade, i have finished studying all the mechanics chapters in kleppner and kolenkow, and am about to proceed onto studying other topics in one or two of the above textbooks in preparation for usapho. Thank you for your time and advice, and have a great day!
Dr. H. C. Verma is a professor in IIT Kanpur in Department of Physics. His books are very good as starters to the great examination in India: JEE, and also very good for other exams. The text is, to some extent, less helpful, but nevertheless the book is fabulous.

Verma is like a low level hrw. He himself says so in the preface, his main motivation was to make hrw accessible for Indian students. So, if you have the original hrw definitely read that.

RubinLicht said:
My question would be regarding the differences between these textbooks. What does each textbook do well?

Nothing.

What are each books weak chapters?

What does weak mean ? none of them have level of content of the book you read.

Difference between old resnick and new resnick?

How old ? that book is old. My parents used it.

And why do Indians fanboy/girl over Verma's textbook and should I use it?

That book is a very big mess.
I never read that book but I have looked into it. The book looks like a big mess. To give some perspective on how bad that book is, imagine you took the exercises from the single variable book of Spivak and took theory from a introductory high school book and combined them into one book.
If I say the book is not good as it does not contain enough theory you can always counter it with something like "the theory part is enough for the student to do the exercises if (s)he puts effort in it" and you are correct but youir didactics is completely wrong. Nobody should spend 5 hours on doing a exercise that, if taught properly can be done in minutes. Introduction to Mechanics contains more or less the same problems but with a clear theory part.
To give you an example of how bad Verma's book is, there was a example problem on bead on rope (that can be done with a simple application of constraints) in that book, the book uses all sorts of cheap maths to solve it in more than a page.

Just my thought on it, take it with a grain of salt as I have not read the book, from what I have looked it is just bad.[/QUOTE]

Likes Mastermind01

1. What is the significance of Hrw, hrk, Verma, and Freedman in the scientific community?

These names refer to four prominent scientists who have made significant contributions in the fields of physics and astronomy. They have published numerous papers and books that have advanced our understanding of the universe.

2. What are the main areas of research that Hrw, hrk, Verma, and Freedman specialize in?

Hrw and hrk are known for their work in theoretical physics, specifically in the fields of quantum mechanics and particle physics. Verma has made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of astrophysics, while Freedman is a renowned cosmologist.

3. How have Hrw, hrk, Verma, and Freedman's research impacted our understanding of the universe?

These scientists have contributed to our knowledge of fundamental particles and forces, the nature of space and time, and the origin and evolution of the universe. Their work has helped shape the current theories and models in physics and astronomy.

4. What are some notable achievements of Hrw, hrk, Verma, and Freedman?

Hrw and hrk have received numerous awards and recognition for their contributions to physics, including the Nobel Prize in Physics. Verma has been part of several groundbreaking studies in astrophysics, and Freedman's work on the expansion rate of the universe has been hailed as a major breakthrough.

5. Are there any ongoing projects or collaborations involving Hrw, hrk, Verma, and Freedman?

Yes, these scientists continue to be actively involved in research and have collaborated on various projects with other prominent scientists in their respective fields. They also mentor and inspire the next generation of scientists through their work and mentorship.