Is Richard Courant's Intro to Calculus Enough for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

  • Topic: Other 
  • Thread starter Thread starter user10921
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Textbook
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
user10921
Messages
40
Reaction score
3
Hello, I am preparing for a physics exam which takes place next year. The scope of this test is mechanics, e&m, thermodynamics, relativity, waves, and modern physics. The exam doesn't require anything farther than Calculus 1, but it is still a rigorous exam. So I am looking for a calc 1 textbook that has some applications to physics in it. I am looking for a decent understanding, nothing too hard. I have heard Richard Courant's Intro to Calc and Analysis Volume 1&2 has what I described in it. Will this cover calc 1 enough for the physics exam? On this website, there are some sample problems for you to go look.
https://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2019/exams.cfm
Just go click USAPhO exam.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have any other book suggestions then the ones I asked, it will be much obliged.
Thanks in advance :biggrin::smile:
 
Just going to bump this - if my question's not clear I'm just looking for a calc 1 textbook that has nice explanations. Wondering if Courant's Volume 1 hits the mark. Thanks again.
 
Sorry for the lack of my incompetent question. Let me rephrase this to:
What calc textbook will meet most of these requirements?
4.7 Calculus
Finding derivatives of elementary functions, their sums, products, quotients, and nested functions. Integration as the inverse procedure to differentiation. Finding definite and indefinite integrals in simple cases: elementary functions, sums of functions, and using the substitution rule for a linearly dependent argument. Making definite integrals dimensionless by substitution. Geometric interpretation of derivatives and integrals. Finding constants of integration using initial conditions. Concept of gradient vectors (partial derivative formalism is not needed).
Source: https://ipho2018.pt/content/syllabus

Thanks again
 
user10921 said:
Sorry for the lack of my incompetent question. Let me rephrase this to:
What calc textbook will meet most of these requirements?
4.7 Calculus
Finding derivatives of elementary functions, their sums, products, quotients, and nested functions. Integration as the inverse procedure to differentiation. Finding definite and indefinite integrals in simple cases: elementary functions, sums of functions, and using the substitution rule for a linearly dependent argument. Making definite integrals dimensionless by substitution. Geometric interpretation of derivatives and integrals. Finding constants of integration using initial conditions. Concept of gradient vectors (partial derivative formalism is not needed).
Source: https://ipho2018.pt/content/syllabus

Thanks again
Well I can recommend an ancient one that is very readable, has loads of good exercises, both theoretical and computational, and covers all that and more, yet is not too big. However, I have no idea if it can still be found.

Calculus and Analytic Geometry, by Fisher and Ziebur (second edition)
 
Last edited:
This actually looks like a solid book. I am surprised I haven't heard of this book before. Also I found this book on archive.org if anyone else is wondering. Thank you