Is Richard Courant's Intro to Calculus Enough for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

In summary, the book "Calculus and Analytic Geometry, by Fisher and Ziebur (second edition)" is a good choice for a calc 1 textbook that has applications to physics. It has a lot of exercises and is readable.
user10921
Hello, I am preparing for a physics exam which takes place next year. The scope of this test is mechanics, e&m, thermodynamics, relativity, waves, and modern physics. The exam doesn't require anything farther than Calculus 1, but it is still a rigorous exam. So I am looking for a calc 1 textbook that has some applications to physics in it. I am looking for a decent understanding, nothing too hard. I have heard Richard Courant's Intro to Calc and Analysis Volume 1&2 has what I described in it. Will this cover calc 1 enough for the physics exam? On this website, there are some sample problems for you to go look.
https://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2019/exams.cfm
Just go click USAPhO exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have any other book suggestions then the ones I asked, it will be much obliged.
Thanks in advance :biggrin::smile:

Just going to bump this - if my question's not clear I'm just looking for a calc 1 textbook that has nice explanations. Wondering if Courant's Volume 1 hits the mark. Thanks again.

I like Courant's analysis textbooks, but I don't know, whether it's what you need to prepare for this contest!

Sorry for the lack of my incompetent question. Let me rephrase this to:
What calc textbook will meet most of these requirements?
4.7 Calculus
Finding derivatives of elementary functions, their sums, products, quotients, and nested functions. Integration as the inverse procedure to differentiation. Finding definite and indefinite integrals in simple cases: elementary functions, sums of functions, and using the substitution rule for a linearly dependent argument. Making definite integrals dimensionless by substitution. Geometric interpretation of derivatives and integrals. Finding constants of integration using initial conditions. Concept of gradient vectors (partial derivative formalism is not needed).
Source: https://ipho2018.pt/content/syllabus

Thanks again

user10921 said:
Sorry for the lack of my incompetent question. Let me rephrase this to:
What calc textbook will meet most of these requirements?
4.7 Calculus
Finding derivatives of elementary functions, their sums, products, quotients, and nested functions. Integration as the inverse procedure to differentiation. Finding definite and indefinite integrals in simple cases: elementary functions, sums of functions, and using the substitution rule for a linearly dependent argument. Making definite integrals dimensionless by substitution. Geometric interpretation of derivatives and integrals. Finding constants of integration using initial conditions. Concept of gradient vectors (partial derivative formalism is not needed).
Source: https://ipho2018.pt/content/syllabus

Thanks again
Well I can recommend an ancient one that is very readable, has loads of good exercises, both theoretical and computational, and covers all that and more, yet is not too big. However, I have no idea if it can still be found.

Calculus and Analytic Geometry, by Fisher and Ziebur (second edition)

Last edited:
This actually looks like a solid book. I am surprised I haven't heard of this book before. Also I found this book on archive.org if anyone else is wondering. Thank you

1. Is Richard Courant's Intro to Calculus sufficient for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

It depends on the individual's level of understanding and the specific topics covered on the exam. While Courant's book covers many important calculus concepts, it may not cover all the topics needed for the USAPhO Physics Exam.

2. Can I solely rely on Courant's book to prepare for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

No, it is recommended to use multiple resources and practice problems to fully prepare for the exam. Courant's book can be a helpful supplement, but it should not be the only resource used.

3. Are there any other calculus books that are better suited for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

There are many calculus books that cover similar topics and may be better suited for the exam. Some popular options include Thomas' Calculus, Stewart's Calculus, and Larson's Calculus.

4. Does Courant's book cover all the calculus topics needed for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

No, Courant's book may not cover all the topics in depth or may not cover some specific topics that are included on the exam. It is important to check the USAPhO syllabus to ensure that all necessary topics are covered.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus for the USAPhO Physics Exam?

Yes, calculus is an important tool in solving many physics problems, and a strong understanding of calculus is necessary to do well on the USAPhO Physics Exam. However, it is not the only subject that is tested on the exam, so it is important to have a well-rounded understanding of all topics covered on the syllabus.