Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do men weep

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Just for the technical side i like to watch air crash investigation, it has all ways been an interest to me as to how things can fail, but i seem to be getting all sissy and weeping
    watching the programs, surly this not natural for a male.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say empathy was the reason, and thats a good thing not bad. :smile:

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    Maybe you're not. When did you last check ?

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
    what a wimp.
    just kidding. I cry during movies and tv shows and commercials. It's never the people dying that makes me cry though, I only cry for really happy things.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  6. Mar 7, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes, if I'm sad about "X" but can't do anything to change it, I'll get weepy at stupid things that have nothing to do with "X". I hate getting weepy at McDonald's commercials. But then I'm a woman, it could be different for men.

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
    First time I saw Braveheart, I cried at the end. :cry:

8. Mar 7, 2008 #7
    I haven't cried in probably 15 years. I don't even remember when the last time I cried was.

9. Mar 7, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, its a terrible film, but no need to get upset. :wink:

10. Mar 7, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You're just mad that a Scot got some good press. :rofl:

11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Some times you guys are so creepy and i do not know how to answer, or even know if you are serious,but i can tell you all my bits are in order.

12. Mar 7, 2008 #11
    No offense, I was just kidding ! I myself feel very easily like crying when watching sad movies, or listening to Shostakovich's string quartet #8, or when I flushed the golden fish last week, or such... I think it's fine as long as you don't let it show too much :rolleyes:

edit
    Ok I'll go check now. Be back in a few.

13. Mar 7, 2008 #12
    Crying is perfectly natural and a good way to express your feelings. Much better than keeping it all bottled up.

EDIT: Oops, I missed the part where you said you are a guy. Never mind, then.

14. Mar 7, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

There is a pretty wide gap between weeping at a story designed to manipulate your emotions even though it's fictional - and a real-life event involving the death of innocent men, women and children.

15. Mar 7, 2008 #14
    I'm a sucker for a weeping man, they get me everytime.

16. Mar 7, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too...not all out bawling, mind you, but if there's a bit of glisten in the eye that they're desperately trying to hide at the end of a movie, awwww...that's just the sweetest thing. :approve:

17. Mar 7, 2008 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why *shouldn't* men weep? Ditto what Moonbear said. If it was a sad movie, of course.

Now, if they cry because the parking lot at the mall is crowded...

18. Mar 7, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: True.

As I left my boyfriend this morning (I don't see him very often...I can never seem to find someone to date close to wherever I live), he had a tear in his eye. I brushed it away, and commented that it seemed his eyes were watering...he claimed it was the cold. :biggrin: It was really sweet...nearly got me all choked up too.

19. Mar 7, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh come on, I bet you cried when Harley was sold the first time.

Movies can get me - very sad but true stories can certainly get to me. Losing a pet rips my heart out every time.

20. Mar 7, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a guy DIDN'T cry over losing a pet, I'd think something was seriously wrong with him!

21. Mar 7, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not at all. Its just terribly historically inaccurate. Besides, wait till Culloden the movie comes out :tongue2::wink:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?