Air Crash Investigation: A Technical Journey and an Emotional Rollercoaster

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of crying and whether it is natural for men to cry. Some participants share their personal experiences with crying, including during movies and over the death of pets. Others argue that crying is a natural and healthy way to express emotions. The conversation also touches on the subject of gender stereotypes and societal expectations for men to suppress their emotions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just for the technical side i like to watch air crash investigation, it has all ways been an interest to me as to how things can fail, but i seem to be getting all sissy and weeping
watching the programs, surly this not natural for a male.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say empathy was the reason, and that's a good thing not bad. :smile:

wolram said:
surly this not natural for a male.
Maybe you're not. When did you last check ?

what a wimp.
just kidding. I cry during movies and tv shows and commercials. It's never the people dying that makes me cry though, I only cry for really happy things.

Last edited:
Sometimes, if I'm sad about "X" but can't do anything to change it, I'll get weepy at stupid things that have nothing to do with "X". I hate getting weepy at McDonald's commercials. But then I'm a woman, it could be different for men.

I haven't cried in probably 15 years. I don't even remember when the last time I cried was.

Greg Bernhardt said:
First time I saw Braveheart, I cried at the end. :cry:

Yes, its a terrible film, but no need to get upset. :wink:

Kurdt said:
Yes, its a terrible film, but no need to get upset. :wink:
You're just mad that a Scot got some good press. :rofl:

humanino said:
Maybe you're not. When did you last check ?

Some times you guys are so creepy and i do not know how to answer, or even know if you are serious,but i can tell you all my bits are in order.

wolram said:
Some times you guys are so creepy and i do not know how to answer, or even know if you are serious,but i can tell you all my bits are in order.
No offense, I was just kidding ! I myself feel very easily like crying when watching sad movies, or listening to Shostakovich's string quartet #8, or when I flushed the golden fish last week, or such... I think it's fine as long as you don't let it show too much :rolleyes:

edit
Ok I'll go check now. Be back in a few.

Crying is perfectly natural and a good way to express your feelings. Much better than keeping it all bottled up.

EDIT: Oops, I missed the part where you said you are a guy. Never mind, then.

There is a pretty wide gap between weeping at a story designed to manipulate your emotions even though it's fictional - and a real-life event involving the death of innocent men, women and children.

I'm a sucker for a weeping man, they get me everytime.

hypatia said:
I'm a sucker for a weeping man, they get me everytime.

Me too...not all out bawling, mind you, but if there's a bit of glisten in the eye that they're desperately trying to hide at the end of a movie, awwww...that's just the sweetest thing. :approve:

Why *shouldn't* men weep? Ditto what Moonbear said. If it was a sad movie, of course.

Now, if they cry because the parking lot at the mall is crowded...

Evo said:
Now, if they cry because the parking lot at the mall is crowded...
:rofl: True.

As I left my boyfriend this morning (I don't see him very often...I can never seem to find someone to date close to wherever I live), he had a tear in his eye. I brushed it away, and commented that it seemed his eyes were watering...he claimed it was the cold. :biggrin: It was really sweet...nearly got me all choked up too.

wolram said:
Just for the technical side i like to watch air crash investigation, it has all ways been an interest to me as to how things can fail, but i seem to be getting all sissy and weeping
watching the programs, surly this not natural for a male.

Oh come on, I bet you cried when Harley was sold the first time.

Movies can get me - very sad but true stories can certainly get to me. Losing a pet rips my heart out every time.

Ivan Seeking said:
Losing a pet rips my heart out every time.

If a guy DIDN'T cry over losing a pet, I'd think something was seriously wrong with him!

turbo-1 said:
You're just mad that a Scot got some good press. :rofl:

Not at all. Its just terribly historically inaccurate. Besides, wait till Culloden the movie comes out :tongue2::wink:.

Ok, what about sores? Do weeping sores charm the ladies?

DaveC426913 said:
Ok, what about sores? Do weeping sores charm the ladies?
Ewww, weeping sores are not attractive. A bit of neosporin will prevent that.

tribdog said:
what a wimp.
just kidding. I cry during movies and tv shows and commercials. It's never the people dying that makes me cry though, I only cry for really happy things.

I didn't cry at my mother or fathers funeral, but I cry every time Forrest's leg braces fall off.

Death is au natural. Miracles in movies always move me.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
If a guy DIDN'T cry over losing a pet, I'd think something was seriously wrong with him!

Oh, hear, hear!

lisab said:
Oh, hear, hear!

I've lost 47 goldfish to date and have yet to shed a tear. Is there something wrong with me?

Goldfish are a little different I think

OmCheeto said:
I've lost 47 goldfish to date and have yet to shed a tear. Is there something wrong with me?
I, on the other hand, took my poor Betta 'Spike'* - upon his natural death, following a year of healthy life after his belly operation (which I performed with antiseptic and a needle on my office desk) - down to Lake Ontario and set him free there so he could make his way down the St. Lawrence into the ocean and back to his native Thailand.

That was five years ago.

*whom I wrote a poem for:
"I like Spike."**

**What? I didn't say it was a good poem. I'm a fish buff, not a poet.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I, on the other hand, took my poor Betta 'Spike'* - upon his natural death, following a year of healthy life after his belly operation (which I performed with antiseptic and a needle on my office desk) - down to Lake Ontario and set him free there so he could make his way down the St. Lawrence into the ocean and back to his native Thailand.

That was five years ago.

"I like Spike."**

Wait - wait -wait ----- you did surgery on your Beta? :rofl: OK so I can be gullible, but are you serious?

DaveC426913 said:

That was five years ago.

"I like Spike."**

Did he write you when he got to Thailand? Was it a rough trip?

lisab said:
Wait - wait -wait ----- you did surgery on your Beta? :rofl: OK so I can be gullible, but are you serious?
I most certainly did. Was the talk of the office too.

DaveC426913 said:
I most certainly did. Was the talk of the office too.

Wow! o:) That's cool! So what was wrong with the fish? Are you a biologist?

Well apart from the odd bit of dust in my eye at the end of films, I haven't cried since I was 18. I believe it's because either I am dead inside or just a bloke, one of the two. Still I haven't cried over anything real for 17 years, I had a lot of dust in my eye at the end of The Colour Purple.

It's ok if a man cry... :) so don't cry

I cry once or twice or thrice a year... Believe it or not?

I cried to Jerry Springer when I was 16 or something when I was at my friends place, I couldn't watch it and had to leave, heh.

Last edited: