Why do microcontrollers fail in a Vacuum?

In summary: Yes, you can power up the Pi and check the power rails. Might be the regulators are the first to overheat?Discussion here..
Tech2025
I was trying to log data inside a vacuum chamber, tried an arduino and a rasperry pi. When reaching -30inHg the devices just stopped working, they powered off, no data in or out and would not work ever again. Why? And no, they did not overheat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tech2025 said:
I was trying to log data inside a vacuum chamber, tried an arduino and a rasperry pi. When reaching -30inHg the devices just stopped working, they powered off, no data in or out and would not work ever again. Why? And no, they did not overheat.
When you pulled them out to analyze the failure, what did you find? Are there any electrolytic caps on the board?

berkeman said:
When you pulled them out to analyze the failure, what did you find? Are there any electrolytic caps on the board?
Yes, but those seem fine, were not bloated and no signs of leakage.

Tech2025 said:
Yes, but those seem fine, were not bloated and no signs of leakage.
It sounded like you were saying the power failed. What do you measure when you try to power it up?

berkeman said:
It sounded like you were saying the power failed. What do you measure when you try to power it up?
I haven't tried measure that yet, but the power supply is not the issue

Also, can you post the schematic for anything that was in the vacuum?

Tech2025 said:
but the power supply is not the issue
Tech2025 said:
the devices just stopped working, they powered off,
What do you mean by that?

berkeman said:
What do you mean by that?
Well exactly what I mean, at -30inHg they just powered off and would not reboot

No, I was asking about the "powered off" part. How can the board power itself off and there not be a power supply problem? You said it still doesn't work out of the chamber, so presumably it is still not powering up, no?

Likes jedishrfu
Tech2025 said:
And no, they did not overheat.

How do you know?

Likes davenn and jedishrfu
I would guess that some component overheated. Berekeman's fuse suggestion seems like a good thought as well, since the fuse could easily blow far below rated with no cooling.

Likes davenn, jedishrfu and berkeman
Tech2025 said:
And no, they did not overheat.

Vanadium 50 said:
How do you know?

cjl said:
I would guess that some component overheated. Berekeman's fuse suggestion seems like a good thought as well, since the fuse could easily blow far below rated with no cooling.

exactly ... with no air to aid in the convection/conduction of heat away ... components could easily overheat and fail

Likes jedishrfu
Don't let your preconceptions or intuitions rule your view. The unit failed. Software is immune to a vacuum (unless the programmer forgot to write it but that's another issue - software joke :-) ) but hardware is not. Hardware will fail in extreme conditions of high pressure or low pressure, of high temperature or low temperature. In your case, the extreme condition is no pressure, no air and no means to conduct the heat away and so it failed.

In high pressure situations, like deep ocean sensing equipment, you can get a loss of power from your batteries as they get compressed under the weight of the water and from the coldness of the environment.

As well as the overall heating, some ICs have defined heating rate limits. Ordinary humidity can lead to moisture absorbed in
minute gaps near the pins, heating too fast can lead to failure as the vapor exerts pressure before it can exit. It may seem odd but it is routine for ICs to be packaged in controlled-humidity packages and the soldering /heating ramp rates to have critical limits defined by the manufacturers.

I would power up the Pi and check the power rails. Might be the regulators are the first to overheat?

Last edited:
Discussion here..

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102367

You cannot count on radiative cooling of electronics in a hard vacuum.

At 85C the RPi's SoC radiates just 145mW, and gets 65mW back from the walls of the vacuum chamber (at 20C). Compare that with 300-600mW power consumption. In order to shed 600mW the chip must reach 250C!

A conductive path is needed to cool the chip. In the case of the RPi conduction to the PCB may be enough, but I wouldn't count on it.

If it is overheating perhaps you can modify your software so the Pi only needs to be powered up briefly when a sample is required and powered down between samples?

Likes berkeman

1. Why do microcontrollers fail in a Vacuum?

Microcontrollers are electronic devices that are designed to operate in the Earth's atmosphere, where there is a constant supply of oxygen. However, in a vacuum, there is no oxygen present, which can lead to failure due to various reasons.

2. What is the main cause of microcontroller failure in a Vacuum?

The main cause of microcontroller failure in a vacuum is the lack of oxygen, which is needed for the proper functioning of electronic components. Without oxygen, the components cannot function and may even degrade or break down over time.

3. Can microcontrollers be designed to operate in a Vacuum?

Yes, microcontrollers can be designed to operate in a vacuum, but they require special considerations and modifications to withstand the conditions. This includes using materials that are resistant to high temperatures and a lack of oxygen, as well as implementing special cooling systems to prevent overheating.

4. How can I prevent microcontroller failure in a Vacuum?

To prevent microcontroller failure in a vacuum, it is important to carefully design and test the device for vacuum compatibility. This includes using suitable materials, implementing proper cooling systems, and ensuring that all components are rated for vacuum use. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help to prevent failure.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to microcontroller failure in a Vacuum?

Aside from the lack of oxygen, other factors that can contribute to microcontroller failure in a vacuum include extreme temperatures, radiation, and vacuum-induced stress on the components. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing microcontrollers for use in a vacuum environment.