Why do people here think that I’m a guy?

• Thread starter drizzle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the assumption that whoever is helping with homework is male. The term "racist" is brought up, but it is suggested that "sexist" may be a more appropriate term. The conversation then shifts to discussing gender-neutral names and the prevalence of males in certain fields. The idea of changing usernames to reflect gender is mentioned, and the conversation ends with a discussion on generational names.
Physics news on Phys.org
why do people here think that I’m a guy?!

should have kept it that way...now you're really going to meet sexism .. if not at the very least nerd bias . . .

simple as this>> no gurlz on interbuttzzz. ..

generally thought of as a boys club...but I'd say the internet is for androgynous avatars generally . .

edit::puh...or mebe I walked right into troll attempt? D;

Count Iblis said:
Here is how I see it. Before I saw this thread, the universe was in a state of the form:

|Whatever I was aware of>[a |Universe in which drizzle is female> + b|Universe in which drizzle is male>]

So, while drizzle's gender is entangled with the rest of the universe, my consciousness was not entangled with drizzle's gender, otherwise I could have sensed her gender without even performing a measurement.

Kind of like Schrodinger's Cat. Drizzle is both male and female until you check drizzle's jeans.

turbo-1 said:
I have birds, but I feed them outside. First, train the chickadees, then the nuthatches want to get in on the act. Often, there will be a tufted titmouse or two flocking with the 'dees, but they are always too shy to hand-feed and I have to watch them through a window instead.

Kind of like Schrodinger's Dog, except even stranger. Bird people are twice as strange as crazy cat ladies.

BobG said:
Drizzle is both male and female until you check drizzle's jeans.

Maybe drizzle should glue a pink bow on her head, as seems requisite in childbirth wards to distinguish gender, even though, as moonbear's pointed out in past threads, it's a simple matter of peeking in the diaper to determine gender.

BobG said:
Kind of like Schrodinger's Dog, except even stranger. Bird people are twice as strange as crazy cat ladies.

My brother's a bird person... and yeah, he's missing some marbles. I think his new girlfriend is helping him find them though.

I have a cat (as evidenced by my avatar), but when I was "playing the dating game" I always made sure to say "I have a cat, but I'm NOT a crazy cat lady." Unfortunately, I think two of my better friends have become crazy cat ladies.

People keep thinking I'm a man too when I'm clearly female. :tongue2:

Kurdt said:
People keep thinking I'm a man too when I'm clearly female. :tongue2:
You shouldn't have changed your username from Kurdtzie.:biggrin:

drizzle said:
hey moonbear, do you mind if I ask for sniper’s assistance?! :biggrin:

On the way! :biggrin: :devil:

physics girl phd said:
I think any avatar with a kitty make the user seem female (even when I know lots of men with cats). Birds seem more male (at least to me... I think because the only people I know currently with birds in their house are men).

I think of birds as female, even when they are clearly males of the species. For the longest time, I was assuming that Redbelly was female. So, see, it works both ways.

Birds have mixed up sex chromosomes don't they moonie?

For the most part, the more colorful and flamboyant birds are the males. Chickadees and phoebes are unisex (in dress), but many songbirds have very bland-looking females (to be less conspicuous on-nest) and very bright males to claim, defend and hold territory.

And, no, even though I hand-feed wild birds and chipmunks, I'm not as crazy as a cat-lady. I'm just being really practical. Most of my pets are wild and they fend for themselves and I don't have to clean up after them.

turbo-1 said:
And, no, even though I hand-feed wild birds and chipmunks, I'm not as crazy as a cat-lady. I'm just being really practical. Most of my pets are wild and they fend for themselves and I don't have to clean up after them.

I used to handfeed a squirrel that hung out on my porch. I later found out he'd been fed by a neighbor before he ran up her skirt -- putting an end to her feedings! By the time I was feeding him, he was in old age, and such antics were beyond him.

physics girl phd said:
I used to handfeed a squirrel that hung out on my porch. I later found out he'd been fed by a neighbor before he ran up her skirt -- putting an end to her feedings! By the time I was feeding him, he was in old age, and such antics were beyond him.
My chipmunks have various levels of familiarity. Some of the old-timers will scale me as soon as they see me and start searching my pockets for treats.

munkonlegcomp.jpg

physics girl phd said:
I have a cat (as evidenced by my avatar), but when I was "playing the dating game" I always made sure to say "I have a cat, but I'm NOT a crazy cat lady." Unfortunately, I think two of my better friends have become crazy cat ladies.
My whole goal is to become the crazy cat lady. Though, I have a neighbor who was out walking his cat a couple weeks ago (late at night when most people wouldn't notice, except a fellow whacko like me). I'm annoyed by that. It greatly challenges my status as the crazy cat lady. I might just be the slightly nutty cat lady.

Kurdt said:
Birds have mixed up sex chromosomes don't they moonie?
They aren't mixed up for the birds. :wink: :biggrin:

Vanadium 50 said:
Or Wee-vo. :devil:
:grumpy: Darn it, I was going to hit you with my fish slap smiley, then realized it's saved on my broken computer.

Consider yourself fish slapped.

pease said:
should have kept it that way...now you're really going to meet sexism .. if not at the very least nerd bias . . .

simple as this>> no gurlz on interbuttzzz. ..

generally thought of as a boys club...but I'd say the internet is for androgynous avatars generally . .

edit::puh...or mebe I walked right into troll attempt? D;

Its supposed to be "There are no girls on the internet" and its an old joke pretty much saying that if you are talking to a 'girl' on the internet it is probably a guy. It doesn't have anything to do with a 'boys club' or anything like that.

We still have not established that Dizzle is a she.

physics girl phd said:

Hand feeding squirrels is simply providing a training program for muggers. Squirrels become incredibly demanding. Thanks to the squirrels, having foxes move in next door becomes very desirable, indeed!

I have to admit presenting a challenge to competing Gray Jays and a chipmunk was an entertaining way to spend last Saturday. Gray Jays are naturally very bold. One took food from us with practically no hesitation. It didn't take long for the second to decide that was the way to go. The chipmunk became very frustrated when we stopped tossing food and started waiting for him to come take it from our hand. Eventually, he got tired of the Jays always taking the food and mustered up the courage to come get some food.

It made for some good photo opportunities for other hikers (it was a busy day on the mountain trail we picked and most dally about at the top of the trail, eating lunch, etc).

It probably didn't make for good nutrition since the only thing we had to feed the Jays and chipmunks were Garden Salsa Sun chips.

CompuChip said:
And
|a|2 + |b|2 = 1?

That's right :smile:

Cyrus said:

it's drizzle man

please don’t tell me that you’re drunk

BobG said:
Hand feeding squirrels is simply providing a training program for muggers. Squirrels become incredibly demanding.

Demanding? Demanding? :rofl:

The squirrels here are a full-blown mafia. They run shakedown operations at each of the vending machine areas.

Math Is Hard said:
Demanding? Demanding? :rofl:

The squirrels here are a full-blown mafia. They run shakedown operations at each of the vending machine areas.
At least they don't mug me like the chipmunks do. I KNOW you've got seeds, and your seeds are my seeds! Don't bother giving them to me. I'll find them myself.

Evo said:
I was going to hit you with my fish slap smiley, then realized it's saved on my broken computer .

Evo, :uhh:

fish%20hit.gif

erm :blushing:

no fish-abuse, please :redface:

Evo said:
:grumpy: Darn it, I was going to hit you with my fish slap smiley, then realized it's saved on my broken computer.

Consider yourself fish slapped.

I found some online:
Fish_slap_emoticon.gif

I think this was the original (andre beat me to it while I was doing a diaper change!):
fish%20hit.gif

This one's abusive!
http://gi53.photobucket.com/groups/g77/662TBKD1OM/fishslap.gif

Pretty similar to the original:
http://gs53.photobucket.com/groups/g77/662TBKD1OM/th_fishbeat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
To accompany the icons - the original:

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
At least they don't mug me like the chipmunks do. I KNOW you've got seeds, and your seeds are my seeds! Don't bother giving them to me. I'll find them myself.

I used to hand-feed both chipmunks and squirrels when I was a teen. When the squirrels didn't get their peanut fix, they resorted to breaking and entering, which led to my mom officially banning the practice of hand-feeding squirrels. I always kept the peanut jar near the back door, and during summer when there was only the screen door closed, a squirrel decided to chew through the screen and raid the jar. I had all the squirrels and chippy's trained, even a few blue jays would play "fetch" for peanuts, catching them mid-air. Oh, to have entire summers of free time to train the backyard critters again!

Moonbear said:
Oh, to have entire summers of free time to train the backyard critters again!

Oh, no kidding.

We have femals in 'physicsforums'?

Wow!

dE_logics said:

Wow!

Yes. And some females, too.

dE_logics said:

Wow!

What MiH said, and, shocking, I know.

drizzle said:
Cyrus said:
it's drizzle man

please don’t tell me that you’re drunk

:uhh: Are sure it isn't 'dunk'?

dE_logics said:

Wow!
Eek! Well at least we don't have fleams!

Andre said:
:uhh: Are you sure it isn't 'dunk'?

:biggrin: well, both words fit well :wink:

Change your name to Little Miss Raincloud and the problem will be solved.

Post pictures to prove the point.

And drizzle, make sure there's no ambiguity. A bikini shot should suffice, but you know what they say: "less is more".