Why do people refer to the "fast axis" vs. "slow axis" of Diode Lasers?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axis Diode Lasers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
4,604
Reaction score
4,325
This is really a nomenclature question.
The radiation pattern of a typical laser diode has one axis with low divergence (the slow axis) compared to the other (the fast axis). I understand about antenna radiation patterns, spatial Fourier transforms (Fourier optics), etc. So I think I understand the relationship between the emitter aperture and the divergence. But I've never understood the "fast" vs. "slow" appellation. There must be a physical basis for this categorization. Why do people say that the wider divergence is "fast"?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org