Why do polarizers only work within a certain range?

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range Work
In summary, polarizers only work within a certain range because they are designed to block and transmit light waves that vibrate in a specific direction. This range depends on their specific type and orientation, but generally falls between 400-700 nanometers. They work by selectively absorbing light waves perpendicular to their alignment, and are commonly used in sunglasses, cameras, and LCD screens. However, they cannot block all types of light waves and are also used in scientific experiments and industrial processes.
iScience
i understand why λ_min exists but why λ_max?

Science news on Phys.org
hi there

I think you are going to have to elaborate a bit more

particularly where you got an idea of minimum and maximum wavelengths
references ??

what sort of polarisers ? sun glasses type ?, camera type?, scientific use ones ?

The polariser I use on my camera works well across the full visible spectrum
maybe further each way, I have no idea

Dave

1. Why do polarizers only work within a certain range?

Polarizers only work within a certain range because they are designed to block and transmit light waves that vibrate in a specific direction. They are made up of microscopic crystals that are aligned in a specific direction, and can only effectively block light waves that are perpendicular to this alignment. Beyond a certain range, the light waves are not aligned in a way that can be effectively blocked by the polarizer, and thus it appears to not work.

2. What is the range of wavelengths that polarizers can effectively block?

The range of wavelengths that polarizers can effectively block depends on the specific type of polarizer and its orientation. Generally, they can block light waves between 400-700 nanometers, which is the visible light spectrum. However, some polarizers may also be able to block infrared and ultraviolet light waves.

3. How do polarizers work to block light waves?

Polarizers work by selectively absorbing light waves that are vibrating in a certain direction, while allowing others to pass through. This is achieved through the alignment of microscopic crystals within the polarizer, which act as filters for the incoming light waves. Light waves that are perpendicular to the alignment of the crystals are absorbed, while those that are parallel are able to pass through.

4. Can polarizers be used to block all types of light waves?

No, polarizers can only effectively block light waves that are oscillating in a specific direction. They are most commonly used to block visible light waves, but may also be able to block some infrared and ultraviolet light waves. However, they cannot block all types of light waves, such as radio waves or microwaves.

5. What are some common uses for polarizers?

Polarizers have many practical applications, including in sunglasses, camera lenses, and LCD screens. They are also used in scientific experiments to study the properties of light, and in polarizing microscopes to enhance the visibility of certain substances. In addition, polarizers are used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and in the detection of stress in materials.