Why do softer brake pads stop a bike faster?

• B
  • Thread starter Ram012593
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike Brake
In summary, the reason why softer brake pads stop a bicycle faster and wear faster, while harder brake pads stop a bicycle slower and wear slower, lies in the coefficient of friction between the pad and the rim. However, this is not the only factor at play as the contact and interaction between the two surfaces also play a role. Harder pads may last longer, but they may not provide the same level of braking power as softer pads. The concept of a linear coefficient of friction is not applicable in this scenario, as different materials can have different coefficients of friction. Ultimately, the choice between softer and harder brake pads depends on the individual's preference and needs.
Ram012593
Why do softer brake pads stop a bicycle faster, and wear faster, and harder brake pads stop a bicycle slower, and wear slower? Thanks Much in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
My initial answer is that the coefficient of friction between a softer pad and the rim is higher, which does work out, but only provides part of the answer.
There are some factors which are not known, like how hard the calipers are pressing in each situation.
But to simplify, think about this: if the pad is wearing, then small bits are being torn off. It takes force to tear them off. If you could zoom in on the pad as it brakes, you would probably see it shearing (angling) some as it brakes. This shearing force comes from the rim.

I hope this helps.

Likes jerromyjon
scottdave said:
My initial answer is that the coefficient of friction between a softer pad and the rim is higher, which does work out, but only provides part of the answer.
There are some factors which are not known, like how hard the calipers are pressing in each situation.
But to simplify, think about this: if the pad is wearing, then small bits are being torn off. It takes force to tear them off. If you could zoom in on the pad as it brakes, you would probably see it shearing (angling) some as it brakes. This shearing force comes from the rim.

I hope this helps.
I do mean the question assuming the same amount of brake force is being applied with each type of pad. I suppose I could have clarified better. I meant the question in terms of where does all the kinetic energy go exactly. I know some of it goes to thermal energy but does pad wear count as a type of energy loss? How does the pad wearing faster cause the bike to slow down faster? Is it that softer pads rely more on non classical friction than harder brake pads. For example I'm guessing it can deform to the surface of the rim better which creates a mechanical bond to some degree, and even then when the particles of break pad and rim break off how does that slow the bike down faster? I don't think it necessarily causes the rim or pads to heat up proportionally more. Is it that the particles carry thermal energy with it when it leaves the bike and they cool down when they hit the air or that the particles carry momentum with them and then those particles rely on a series of inelastic collisions to convert their kinetic energy back into thermal energy after they leave the bike? Thanks Much in advanced, and sorry if the question doesn't make sense or if I worded it improperly!

Ram012593 said:
Why do softer brake pads stop a bicycle faster, and wear faster, and harder brake pads stop a bicycle slower, and wear slower? Thanks Much in advanced!
The contact of a softer pad is greater than that of a harder pad. That gives more opportunities for interaction between the two surfaces. You have to chuck out the simple concept of a linear coefficient of friction which we are taught. The coefficients of friction will be different for different materials, for a start. There are plenty of 'soft' substances which would be really poor as brake pad material. I think what I am trying to say is that the implied 'experiment' that the OP describes is not really a fair test. The only thing in favour of hard pads is that they will probably last a lot longer, which is what your everyday (low power) cyclist probably wants.

Likes scottdave

1. Why do softer brake pads stop a bike faster?

Softer brake pads have a higher coefficient of friction, meaning they can create more resistance against the bike's wheels when squeezed by the brakes. This increased friction allows the bike to stop faster compared to harder brake pads.

2. How do softer brake pads create more friction?

Softer brake pads are typically made of materials that are more abrasive and have a larger surface area. When pressed against the wheels, these materials create more friction, leading to a faster stop.

3. Are there any downsides to using softer brake pads?

While softer brake pads may provide a faster stop, they also tend to wear down more quickly. This means they will need to be replaced more often, leading to higher maintenance costs in the long run.

4. Can I use softer brake pads on any type of bike?

Softer brake pads are not suitable for all types of bikes. They are typically used on road bikes and other lightweight bikes that require quick and precise stopping. For heavier bikes or those used for downhill riding, harder brake pads may be more suitable.

5. How can I tell if my bike's brake pads are too soft or too hard?

To determine if your bike's brake pads are too soft or hard, you can check the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of bike you have. You can also test the brake pads by riding your bike and noting how quickly it comes to a stop when the brakes are applied. If you feel that the bike is not stopping as quickly as it should, it may be time to change the brake pads.