Why do we say morphisms preserve the structure/operations?

• Thread starter Tosh5457
  • Start date
In summary, structure in mathematics refers to the salient properties of an object in the context of the subject at hand. A morphism is a concept in category theory that describes a map or transformation between mathematical objects, which preserves the structure and operations of those objects. Examples of morphisms include similarities in Euclidean geometry, continuous maps in topology, and linear transformations in algebra.
Tosh5457
What is exactly is a structure? Is a ring a structure?
And what does that mean exactly, that morphisms preserve the structure and operations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tosh5457 said:
What is exactly is a structure? Is a ring a structure?
And what does that mean exactly, that morphisms preserve the structure and operations?

I think you are asking about a metphorical description of category theory - i.e. a poetic description of moprhisms in non technical language. So "structure" may not have an exact mathematical definition in that context.

As to whether a ring "is a structure" or "has structure", I don't think "structure" has a precise definition in that context either. (There is the further question of whether "a ring" means a specific ring or whether it only means the abstraction defined by the axioms of a ring.)

A page with interesting links about category theory is http://www.j-paine.org/make_category_theory_intuitive.html. However, I can't say any of those links have turned on a light bulb for me yet. Perhaps you can explain some of them to me!

A morphism is like a renaming. Morphisms preserve the structure means if we go though and change all the names the statements should remain true.

To me srtucture is any mathematical property such as being an abelian group or a smooth manifold. Structure is preserved by a map if F(structure) = structure(F) by which is meant things like

F(a + b) = f(a) + f(b) or is f is a smooth map then so is foF.

A morphism may not be an isomorphism i.e. may not have a structure preserving inverse so I would not think of it as a renaming, For instance the morphism that maps an abelian group to the trivial group is not a renaming.

One can formalize the idea of a morphism by defining an abstract category which has objects and morphisms between them. One has the category whose objects are abelian groups and whose morphisms are group homomorphisms or the category of smooth manifolds and smooth maps or the category of commutative rings and ring homomorphisms.

Last edited:
structure = salient properties of object under study in the context of the subject at hand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_structure

morphism is a word from category theory which is a framework for what you are asking.

simple examples:

Euclidean geometry: Two figures are equivalent if you can map one onto the other via a similarity. In the context of Euclidean geometry it does not matter what scale my drawings are or their exact location or orientation in space.

Topology: Morphisms are continuous maps. i.e. maps that preserve "closeness" in a certain sense.

Algebra: Morphisms preserve the operations. e.g. T(ax+by)=aTx+bTy for linear transformations.

1. Why do we use the term "morphism" in mathematics?

In mathematics, a morphism is a structure-preserving map between mathematical objects. This term is used because it highlights the idea that the map preserves the structure or properties of the objects it is mapping between.

2. What is the significance of preserving structure in mathematics?

Preserving structure is important in mathematics because it allows us to study and compare different mathematical objects and understand their relationships. It also helps us to define and prove important theorems and properties.

3. How do morphisms preserve operations in algebraic structures?

In algebraic structures, morphisms preserve operations by mapping elements of one structure to elements of another structure in a way that preserves the operations defined on those structures. This means that the result of applying the operation on mapped elements is the same as applying the operation on the original elements.

4. Can morphisms preserve more than just algebraic structures?

Yes, morphisms can preserve other types of structures as well, such as topological and metric structures. In these cases, the morphism will preserve the properties of the structure, such as continuity or distance, rather than algebraic operations.

5. Why is it important for morphisms to preserve the structure in category theory?

In category theory, morphisms are used to study the relationships between different categories, which can be thought of as different types of mathematical structures. By preserving the structure, we can better understand how these categories are related and how they can be transformed into each other.