Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between algebraic structure and space

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1
    Hi All
    A mathematical structure : is A set with an Object ( structure ) and there are generally two types of mathematical structure , which are algebraic structure and space ( geometric structure )
    Eaxmples of algebraic structure are rings , fields , modules vector spaces ... act
    Examples of spaces are topological space , metric space ... act
    My question is the vector space is an algebraic structure ? And why is it called a space ( considered as space ) ?.

Does it mean because vector space can be used to represent spaces in geometry ?! So its called a space ! As it is an algebraic structure also !
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd say that a vector space is both an algebraic structure as a geometric space. So yes, it has a definite geometric meaning, but it is inherently algebraic.

4. Aug 26, 2015 #3
    @mikeey,

I'd have to agree with micromass that's it's both. I believe that the space in vector space comes from the fact that 3-dimensional space was first modeled in three variables in algebraic equations. Remember that vector space is nothing more than a more advanced construct of seeing space as a neutral set of points in three dimensions. The difference of course is that vectors have directions and therefore are a more convenient mathematical construct for modeling phenomena in physics. Like all things mathematical, naturally, three is too few, and therefore it becomes abstracted to ## n ## dimensions. What makes vector space familiar is that it is an algebra, and who hasn't learned calculations primarily through algebra as a road to understanding mathematical systems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook