What makes physics so fascinating and appealing?

In summary: Earlier point in your life?In summary, In physics, there are all kinds of interesting questions that come from a knowledge of science, which only adds to the excitement and mystery and awe.
Dethblight said:
People often ask me why I want to be a physicist, to which I reply: A physicist is just a kid who never outgrew the "why?" phase. :)

I like that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vagn said:
I like that answer.
That is a classic Feynman-like answer. Read what he had to say about his conversations (as a child) about why a ball rolls to the back of a wagon when you pull the wagon forward. What is inertia and why does it work the way it does?

Feynman made some pretty pointed distinctions between what we assume that we know and what we understand at a level that is more fundamental. He's a guy that was always willing to ask "why" one more time than a 4-year-old.

Physics is everything. Physics is nature, to me, physics can be summed up completely with the word "why."

I don't like it because I'm childish and hate getting answers wrong.

Aside from that, I really love the concepts. Very interesting school of thought involved with physics.

Danger said:
To me, it represents purity of thought. No religion, no politics, no psychology... no human variables. Math falls into the same category, but I have no understanding of it.

Agreed! :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle said:
OMG! OH MY GOD! I swear this was posted by.. ughh! I don't recall his name, but I am defenatly positive it's not by Pyrrhus... Am I losing it? :cry:

Perhaps, because it was posted by me :rofl:.

For what's his name, here's the clue: it flows through an ouroboros.

Because it is intereseting and fun.

Pyrrhus said:
Perhaps, because it was posted by me :rofl:.

For what's his name, here's the clue: it flows through an ouroboros.
I don't know, I remember it sounds like Cyc**l**m. Good to know it's you though. :biggrin:Edit: Haha! Hello Cyclovenom. :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, does your new name mean anything or do you try to make it sounds like Cyrus? :uhh:

Last edited:
Because majoring in Physics, got me a job. :biggrin:

Physics explains how the universe. Its very interesting to learn the reasons why something does what it does. Ahh the beauty of Physics.

Physics is discovering the universe around us, the questioning of how things works and why they do. It gives us a deeper understanding of our surroundings, and, ultimately, ourselves.

I think the people who really love physics are the people who always asked questions, and were never satisfied until they fully understood the answer. It's not satisfying to know that something works; you have to know how and why. This develops into the urge too do physics.

As Carl Sagan once said, “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” That, to me, is physics: discovering how incredible the universe we inhabit really is.

I don't think we'll ever fully understand the universe, and I wouldn't want to. Then, there would be nothing left to do.

drizzle said:
I don't know, I remember it sounds like Cyc**l**m. Good to know it's you though. :biggrin:

Edit: Haha! Hello Cyclovenom. :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, does your new name mean anything or do you try to make it sounds like Cyrus? :uhh:

Just decided it was time for a name change, that's all :approve:. Look up Pyrrhus

Winzer said:
:rofl:
I almost threw up from laughing so hard. Where did you get this?

:rofl:

I like physics cause it's an intellectual game, and I like the challenge to understand how this game of life works out.

i love physics as it humbles me like no other field, its a pity that certain unamed groups of zealots try to dumb us down with 'super natural' theories.
anyhoo, looks like i have 6+ months of reading material ahead because of previous threads/posts that will certainly enlighten me.

im so happy i found intelligence (being this forum)... made my decade :)

ummmmmm.....

It's indescribable... It's ... physics...

What type of physics interests you all?

Knowing how matter/energy interacts, having a picture of causality.

most other subjects are way too subjective / boring.

Physics is just so effing cool. And the Universe is just so interesting; nothing else compares.

Physics being the most fundamental of the three disciples of the sciences, reflects everything from how matter works to the system of nature. I believe mathematics is the language of nature, and so far every concept in physics can be derived from simple formulae to complex formulae with functions within functions . I enjoy every aspect of physics in terms of Classical Mechanics ( which is to me pretty much common sense since Carl Sagan and Bill Nye showed it to me when I was 5), EM ( interesting how leptons and it's gauge boson the photon works, once you think about it, it is SO elegant), QM ( intriguing nonetheless, wave functions, probabilities, and STILL struggling with asymmetric wave functions ), SR and GR ( concepts of time dilation and length contraction is just mind blowing using one of EM's mathematics, The Lorentz factor) and I could barely understand String theory , and so MUCH MORE to learn about the universe. I can't wait to go to College !

Physics is absolutely breathtaking. when you see a simple experiment for the first time and you think something will happen and then you have a couple of sleepless nights trying to figure it out. the double slit experiment or boiling water to freeze it . And how some equations of physics are so simple like Gauss's law and Faraday's law.
And i still get chills every time i drop a magnet down a copper pipe. Physics at time almost seems magical.

I used to like physics, because it felt like it was about understanding the laws of nature.

But then it became clear to me that academic physicists have already abandoned their interest to the laws of nature, and that they have reduced physics into a mere religion. Physics now used as a tool to manage social hierarchy inside academic institutions (like other religions are in other organizations). So I'm not really interested in physics anymore.

Physics translates my world into a heaven of symbology.

It's because it's the only thing I can do. God didn't make me a writer.

It fills me with awe and as I'm completely atheistic and lack the belief in anything supernatural (esoterics etc.), I find my spiritual fulfillment in the workings of our universe.

man with all due respect to the math majors, physics is more realistic than math , they know the meaning of life

I love physics not only because I like the A-HA moments but also because it provides humans the ability to create a better environment with a few changes based on physics knowledge. I like biology because it allows you to appreciate life, I like psychology because it provides some insight on the behavior of the human, but I love physics because it is the essential to provide a better life based on the changes a human can do.

I love knowing how stuff is made and how stuff works together. Cause and effect. Its one reason why I love cars and learning how the engines and disgustingly complicated auto trans's work

Physics challenges my preconceptions. Affirmations and criticism are a dime a dozen, but real challenges to my preconceptions are hard to come by.

jostpuur said:
I used to like physics, because it felt like it was about understanding the laws of nature.

But then it became clear to me that academic physicists have already abandoned their interest to the laws of nature, and that they have reduced physics into a mere religion. Physics now used as a tool to manage social hierarchy inside academic institutions (like other religions are in other organizations). So I'm not really interested in physics anymore.

You are interested in physics, not in a career in physics.

tbh I'm not really sure, I just... do

Physics is what gave me direction in life. I love all aspects of it.

I like that the more you understand, the more there is for you to understand!
And the look of disgust people give when you tell them that you love Physics :)