Why do you not sit next to people on their own?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nucleargirl
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
67 replies · 20K views
nucleargirl said:
ok, so I'm living in halls now, and most people stay in their rooms in the evening. the ones in the common room are either watching football or playing a drinking game. I want to do neither but I want to talk to people! Is it too weird to knock on random people's doors and talk to them that way?

Umm, what do you mean by "I'm living in halls now"?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Umm, what do you mean by "I'm living in halls now"?

A dorm.

i.e. she's knocking on the doors of fellow dormers, not wandering the dark streets, knocking on the doors of the homes of complete strangers.
 
lol! I am living in student accommodation with like 300 other students!
I tried knocking on people's doors today... 3 in fact, and none of them were in!
It is easier to meet people on facebook...
anyway, I can't be bothered now. term's begun, I've got too much work, and yeah.
 
Ha, looks like I was dead right about you, if you recall our little exchange. Just so you know I have a girlfriend and she makes me dinner every weekend, and she's great. :approve:

But on the whole topic of sitting next to strangers - why would I? If I have some reason to talk to someone - they're in a class of mine, we're in the same club, or share some common thread, then sure why not - but a total stranger? Just another human who's consuming resources and bringing up the cost of oil as far as I'm concerned, and I have zero interest in meeting random people.
 
DaveC426913 said:
A dorm.

i.e. she's knocking on the doors of fellow dormers, not wandering the dark streets, knocking on the doors of the homes of complete strangers.

I'm assuming she has a dorm room and isn't literally living in the halls right?

Nucleargirl, I can tell you exactly why people don't sit next to you. It's because they don't WANT to. The reasons why are varied, but most probably don't enjoy attempting to sit next to a complete stranger and striking up conversation, and to many you simply aren't part of their "bubble" of things they care about.
 
Why would they not want to?! ha. impossible :p

ok, I guess yeah, in a normal situation people don't randomly talk to strangers. But I was originally referring to a fresher's week on campus kind of situation! when and where it is the thing to do to meet new people! so I was surprised that people ignored others who were by themselves. But yeah, I guess it all boils down to the same thing.

well, I am actually trying a new thing now. it is called - being independent, and I don't need you to talk to me! I am so badass you'll want to talk to me and I will ignore YOU!
anyway... it seems to be working.
 
pergradus said:
Ha, looks like I was dead right about you, if you recall our little exchange. Just so you know I have a girlfriend and she makes me dinner every weekend, and she's great. :approve:

But on the whole topic of sitting next to strangers - why would I? If I have some reason to talk to someone - they're in a class of mine, we're in the same club, or share some common thread, then sure why not - but a total stranger? Just another human who's consuming resources and bringing up the cost of oil as far as I'm concerned, and I have zero interest in meeting random people.

lol! what conversation?? I am very good at forgetting.

I love how you had to preface it all with your girlfriend situation! lol is that how it is now!