• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Why does a moment have more than one part?

• Thread starter 1question
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Question 1-4 from here http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~htippur/mech3130/hw-1-solutions-2012.pdf

My question is why exactly does the moment have 2 parts from 1 force? Are those simply the components which together make up the net moment? Does each force always have 2 moments in opposite directions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the sum of the two moments makes the net moment.

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Question 1-4 from here http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~htippur/mech3130/hw-1-solutions-2012.pdf

My question is why exactly does the moment have 2 parts from 1 force? Are those simply the components which together make up the net moment? Does each force always have 2 moments in opposite directions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the sum of the two moments makes the net moment.
It's not clear what you mean when you say a moment has 2 parts. Could you specifically point out these parts?

It's not clear what you mean when you say a moment has 2 parts. Could you specifically point out these parts?
I guess I mean the components of the moment, aka -80sin45(0.1+0.3sin30) AND 80cos45(0.3cos30).

I just want to make sure that thinking of them as components of the moment, and that their sum is the net moment, is correct.
Thanks

The 80 N force is decomposed into two vectors and moments of both vectors are added, it makes calculations easier.

The 80 N force is decomposed into two vectors and moments of both vectors are added, it makes calculations easier.
That is more or less what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. Thank you.