1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does a moment have more than one part?

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1-4 from here http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~htippur/mech3130/hw-1-solutions-2012.pdf

My question is why exactly does the moment have 2 parts from 1 force? Are those simply the components which together make up the net moment? Does each force always have 2 moments in opposite directions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the sum of the two moments makes the net moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean when you say a moment has 2 parts. Could you specifically point out these parts?

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3
    I guess I mean the components of the moment, aka -80sin45(0.1+0.3sin30) AND 80cos45(0.3cos30).

I just want to make sure that thinking of them as components of the moment, and that their sum is the net moment, is correct.
    Thanks

5. Sep 26, 2013 #4
    The 80 N force is decomposed into two vectors and moments of both vectors are added, it makes calculations easier.

6. Sep 26, 2013 #5
    That is more or less what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted