Why does a^x = e^(x(lna)) and how can this help with finding the derivative?

• Thread starter jessepye
  • Start date
In summary, when deriving the function a^x, the first step is to change it to e^(x(lna)). This can be done by taking the natural log of both sides and bringing the exponent out of the bracket. This allows us to use the chain rule to find the derivative. Additionally, googling for natural log guides or e guides can provide helpful resources for understanding this topic.
jessepye
Hi every one, first post, so let me know if I'm not following any of the rules.

I'm studying Calculus, looking at the rules for deriving the function a^x. The first step is to change a^x to e^(x(lna)). From there, it's easy to use the chain rule to find the derivative.

Why can you do that first step though? I've tried googling around, and can't find an explanation.

Also, any tips on doing google searches for this kind of topic? I've tried pasting the equation into google; doing searches for "natural log" guides, "e" guides, and a browsed a few precalculus sites, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ax=(eln(a))x

Do you see what to do from there?

Ah! I get it now.

(elna) is equal to a

and

(ab)c = ab*c

so

ax = (eln(a))x = eln(a)*x

Thanks for the super fast reply! I feel silly for not figuring that out sooner.

EDIT You got it before I typed this

I think this is right, I'm just trying to remember it off the top of my head as my textbook is in school.

Let the value of [itex]a^{x}[/itex] be equal to [itex]y[/itex]

[itex]a^{x} = y[/itex]

Take natural log of both sides

[itex]ln(a^{x}) = ln(y)[/itex]

Then we can bring the exponent out of the bracket

[itex]x * ln(a) = ln(y)[/itex]

Then we put both sides as the power of e to cancel the ln on the right

[itex]e^{x * ln(a)} = e^{ln(y)}[/itex]

[itex]e^{x * ln(a)} = y[/itex]

Then since [itex]a^{x} = y[/itex] we sub that in for y and get

[itex]e^{x * ln(a)} = a^{x}[/itex]

Another way to see the same thing is to note that [itex]aln(x)= ln(x^a)[/itex] so that [itex]e^{xln(a)}= e^{ln(a^x)}[/itex]. Then, because "[itex]f(x)= e^x[/itex]" and "[itex]g(x)= ln(x)[/itex]" are inverse functions, [itex]e^{ln(a^x)}= a^x[/itex].

1. Why is the exponent of a logarithm equal to the exponent of the base raised to that power?

This is a fundamental property of logarithms. It can be proven mathematically using the definition of logarithms and the laws of exponents.

2. How does this relate to the natural logarithm and the number e?

The natural logarithm, ln, is defined as the inverse function of the exponential function e^x. This means that ln(e^x) = x and e^(lnx) = x. Therefore, a^x can be rewritten as e^(xlna) and vice versa.

3. Can this property be extended to other bases besides e?

Yes, this property is not limited to the natural logarithm and the number e. It holds for all logarithmic functions and their corresponding exponential functions with the same base.

4. How is this property used in real-world applications?

This property is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve exponential and logarithmic equations. It is also used in financial calculations involving compound interest and growth rates.

5. Is there a visual representation of this property?

Yes, you can graph a^x and e^(xlna) on the same coordinate plane and see that they have the same shape and intersect at the point (1, a). This visual representation helps to understand the relationship between these two expressions.