Why Does Base Current Start at 20uA at the Bottom in NPN Curve Tracers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Npn
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sandy.bridge
Messages
797
Reaction score
1
Hello,
Hoping this can be cleared up quickly as I have my final exam in 1 hour. My question is for the attached image. I know for pnp transistors that ic=0, and Vce=0 at top right hand corner. However, one thing I don't understand is why the base current starts at 20uA at the bottom, rather than at the top. Help is greatly appreciated!
 
Attachments
  • iv characteristic.JPG
    iv characteristic.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 535
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably too late for your exam, but it looks wrong to me. 20uA should be the top (smallest Ic) trace, and Ib should step to larger values at the larger Ic values.
 
That's what I thought. Looks like whoever marked it was not paying attention.