Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why does cos(phi1- phi 2 +kX)=cos(kx)??

Tags:
  1. May 5, 2016 #1
    In the case of two fields interfering with each other when calculating the total electric field, cos (phi1-phi2 + kx) = cos( kx) where kx is the path difference between the two fields.

How does cos (phi1-phi2 +kx)=cos(kx) Isit just algebra? Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 15.32.24.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it said anything about ##\phi_1-\phi_2##? Those equality can be true if ##\phi_1-\phi_2## is a multiple of ##2\pi##.

4. May 5, 2016 #3
    Earlier on a general interference between two waves is obtained and it is assumed that they have the same phase velocity and so phi1=phi2, and the function collapses. Perhaps this is the case here?

5. May 5, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is ##\phi = \omega t ##?

6. May 5, 2016 #5
    I dont think it is, as wt is mentioned seperately when phi is mentioned. Phi is mentioned when defining the amplitude of the wave Eo= |Eo|e^iphi{Eo}, where {Eo} is the unit vector.

7. May 5, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I've no clue, what's discussed here. Do you have two plane waves interfering, i.e., something like
    $$\phi=A_0 \cos(\omega t-k x+\phi_1)+A_1 \cos(\omega t-k x+\phi_2)?$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted