1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why does cos(phi1- phi 2 +kX)=cos(kx)??

Tags:
  1. May 5, 2016 #1
    In the case of two fields interfering with each other when calculating the total electric field, cos (phi1-phi2 + kx) = cos( kx) where kx is the path difference between the two fields.

How does cos (phi1-phi2 +kx)=cos(kx) Isit just algebra? Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 15.32.24.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it said anything about ##\phi_1-\phi_2##? Those equality can be true if ##\phi_1-\phi_2## is a multiple of ##2\pi##.

4. May 5, 2016 #3
    Earlier on a general interference between two waves is obtained and it is assumed that they have the same phase velocity and so phi1=phi2, and the function collapses. Perhaps this is the case here?

5. May 5, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is ##\phi = \omega t ##?

6. May 5, 2016 #5
    I dont think it is, as wt is mentioned seperately when phi is mentioned. Phi is mentioned when defining the amplitude of the wave Eo= |Eo|e^iphi{Eo}, where {Eo} is the unit vector.

7. May 5, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I've no clue, what's discussed here. Do you have two plane waves interfering, i.e., something like
    $$\phi=A_0 \cos(\omega t-k x+\phi_1)+A_1 \cos(\omega t-k x+\phi_2)?$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted