Why does Coulomb's Law have a pi in the denominator while Gauss' Law does not?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Old Guy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Old Guy
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, but to the point:

I calculate the electric field a distance r from a uniform straight infinite line charge using Gauss' Law and get an answer; I do the same calculation using Coulomb's law and get the same answer but a pi remains in the denominator (that was not there in the Gauss' Law solution). I don't know how to enter the equation here, but in both answers the numerator is the linear charge density. The Gauss' Law denonminator is 2r times epsilon; Coulomb's law denominator is 2(pi)r times epsilon. Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oops!

Sorry, all; I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.