Mentor
- 37,242
- 16,361
I don't have that equation, although it shouldn't be too hard to derive.
Ofcourse, velocity cannot be known with unknown RPM of the flywheel, its weight, and length of the shaft. Forget that question.Low-Q said:I have drawn an illustration in Google ScetchUp - hope you understand it.
It is a fast spinning flywheel (red) on a shaft (Blue). Two green guides prevents the shaft and the flywheel to move sideways.
Gravity is pulling on the heavy flywheel.
Question:
As the spinning flywheel starts falling from the top (Not illustrated). Will the velovity of it be greatest at point A, B or C?
What velocity can we expect at point A, B and C?
Will the shaft with its spinning flywheel behave as longer pendulum (Kind of a pendulum in slow motion)?
Vidar
Very annoying actually. At risk of getting a lot of lag error, I venture to ask some questions, and write down some thoughts:DaleSpam said:That is a really annoying system to analyze. The weight will cause a torque about a horizontal axis which will try to get the gyroscope to precess horizontally. It will then run into the green guide which will exert a force to prevent its horizontal precession. This force will also generate a torque, this time about the vertical axis. The torque about the vertical axis will cause the gyroscope to precess either up or down until it reaches the top or the bottom. At that point gravity will no longer be exerting a torque and it will just stay there. It will not act as a pendulum.
Torque.Low-Q said:What is the reason why the weight will move upwards?
No. Gravity cannot cause a vertical torque. Remember, torque is always perpendicular to the force, so torque from gravity is always horizontal.Low-Q said:One would think at first glance that the vertical torque is solely caused by the weight and gravity.
Let's say that the system is in front of me with the gyroscope facing directly towards me and spinning counter-clockwise. This is an angular momentum pointing horizontally directly towards me.Low-Q said:Wether the precess wants to be clockwise or counterclockwise perpendicular to the guides wouldn't matter as there is no physical precess present due to the guides, right?
If horizontal precess really is an important factor of which vertical direction the weight will move in this system, I will accept that - but have trouble in understanding why.
Yes.Low-Q said:instead of generating heat, the spinning weight must slow down. Energy must be conserved.
Obviously this is incorrect: energy is conserved. I have dealt with this question multiple times already and am not interested in repeating it yet again over and over. Please re-read my previous comments, if they are not sufficient then go get a textbook because apparently my communication style is not clear enough.Low-Q said:So, then I am back to the initial question in this thread. Analyzed the above system, I now put a gear to the weight so the weight is spinning because I push it along the guides. Whould't that mean that I try to accelerate the RPM of the weight at the same time as the shift of the wheel force to stop it's spin? While doing this, the force from my finger is moving a given distance. This will appearently end up with an energy consume from my side that is not going anywhere - not heat, not increased kinetic energy ?
Actually, that may have been a mistake. I encourage you to work it out for yourself the same way as I did above. I got that the weight goes down regardless of if the gyro is spinning CW or CCW, but it is complicated enough that I may have made a mistake somewhere.Low-Q said:You say that the weight possibly can move upwards.
Its rotation would have to speed up as it reaches the bottom, not slow down. It is losing gravitational PE, so it must be gaining KE.Low-Q said:You also agree that the spinning weight will slow down in order to conserve energy in the system when the weight reach the bottom or top, because this system does not generate heat from friction.
That PE was applied by the hand which put it up there in the first place, and should not affect the rotational speed.DaleSpam said:Its rotation would have to speed up as it reaches the bottom, not slow down. It is losing gravitational PE, so it must be gaining KE.
It doesn't matter in the slightest what mechanism provided the PE. The fact is that it has higher PE when it is up and it loses PE when it goes down. Since it loses PE it must gain KE.Low-Q said:That PE was applied by the hand which put it up there in the first place, and should not affect the rotational speed.
So which of Newton's laws do you believe that a piston violates? Newton's laws imply energy conservation, so if energy is not conserved then at least one of Newton's laws must be violated. So which one?Low-Q said:I think I have found an similar frictionless system that also require energy input to sustain motion. The system is commonly used in most engines: The piston.
Low-Q said:I am not claiming any violations. I just ask where the input energy goes. For the piston, it could be thousands in order to reduce cogging, but still even without friction the rotational energy in the flywheel will get lost in the way those pistons are moving. So further input energy are necessary to sustain rotation of the flywheel. As there is no violations of any laws, this input energy, or work, must be conserved somewhere. Where?
You are ASSUMING that input energy is necessary to maintain a constant KE for a frictionless piston which does no work. Just like you are ASSUMING that input energy is necessary to maintain a constant KE for a frictionless gyro which does no work. That ASSUMPTION leads to the conclusion that energy is not conserved. If energy is not conserved then Newton's laws must be violated. Therefore either the ASSUMPTION must be false or Newton's laws must be violated.Low-Q said:So further input energy are necessary to sustain rotation of the flywheel. As there is no violations of any laws, this input energy, or work, must be conserved somewhere. Where?
Low-Q said:So further input energy are necessary to sustain rotation of the flywheel. As there is no violations of any laws, this input energy, or work, must be conserved somewhere. Where?
What energy loss? You haven't even demonstrated that there is any. You merely assume it, and that assumption is incompatible with Newtons laws.Low-Q said:Might the energy loss be "fed back" to the motor some how?
Low-Q said:It does not really matter how heavy the flywheel is. I am sure the KE in that wheel is not changing anything regardin the pistons. Ofcourse, the heavier the flywheel is the longer it can transfer its KE to the pistons befor it stands still, if the motor which power it is released from it. I do question yor claim that this isn't a real thing. It is possible to build and test this in real life. So since conservation of energy must be conserved, there must be some place for this input energy to go - that isn't heat... Might the energy loss be "fed back" to the motor some how?
The Energy that the piston loses (and gains) is exchanged with the flywheel on a periodic basis. You must stop thinking so subjectively if you want to understand it.Low-Q said:Might the energy loss be "fed back" to the motor some how?
I agree that this is an assumption. However, as you probably have understood, that assumtion is based on the input energy requirements necessary to sustain the KE in the system (That is indeed a real thing).DaleSpam said:What energy loss? You haven't even demonstrated that there is any. You merely assume it, and that assumption is incompatible with Newtons laws.
No, it isn't a real thing. That is my point. If you had a frictionless system then it would not need any input energy to sustain the KE. You are simply assuming that based on your experience with systems with friction. It is a wrong assumption, not a real thing.Low-Q said:However, as you probably have understood, that assumtion is based on the input energy requirements necessary to sustain the KE in the system (That is indeed a real thing).
And here you are making yet another unsupported assumption without any analysis.Low-Q said:Take a seesaw. Put a heavy weight on each side of the pivot, and power it up. How fast can this seesaw run with a given input work? I bet the seesaw will stop accelerating at a given frequency even - if the weights are perfectly balanced. The lighter the weights are, the higher the frequency will be with the same input work.
Not if there are no friction/heating losses, and not if Newton's laws are obeyed.Low-Q said:So I dare to claim that there is some wasted energy input we (Probably only myself) yet do not understand where is heading.
In practice you will always have friction. Your questions here have been about idealized lossless systems. Such ideal systems do not require input power to continue running.Low-Q said:I will try this in practice with some of the brushless RC motors I have available - running a piston, or similar, with a flywheel, and measure the energy consumtion with light and heavy pistons.
Low-Q said:I agree that this is an assumption. However, as you probably have understood, that assumtion is based on the input energy requirements necessary to sustain the KE in the system (That is indeed a real thing).
Take a seesaw. Put a heavy weight on each side of the pivot, and power it up. How fast can this seesaw run with a given input work? I bet the seesaw will stop accelerating at a given frequency even - if the weights are perfectly balanced. The lighter the weights are, the higher the frequency will be with the same input work.
@sophiecentaur said, that shorter stroking engines can certainly rev higher, indicates that there is higher efficiency in such a system.
I want to add that a lighter piston, with same stroke as a heavy piston, performs better (Higher efficiency). I assume race cars use as light pistons as possible for the engine to perform as good as possible. So even if the friction would be the same in those two engines, the different KE in those pistons can't be neglectet. So I dare to claim that there is some wasted energy input we (Probably only myself) yet do not understand where is heading.
You don't need to comment this anymore if you feel that I'm not "getting it" (). I will try this in practice with some of the brushless RC motors I have available - running a piston, or similar, with a flywheel, and measure the energy consumtion with light and heavy pistons.
I will post my findings here when the temperature outside is acceptable (-20'C as I write)...
Vidar.