Why does EVERYONE claim voltage is electrical pressure?

In summary, there is a common belief that voltage is similar to electrical pressure, but many people fail to see the connection between the two. Some argue that voltage is like pressure in a tank, where the higher the pressure, the more work can be done. However, others argue that this analogy is flawed and suggest other ways of understanding voltage. Ultimately, voltage is a measure of electrical potential and can be compared to other forms of energy, such as gravitational potential energy in a tank of water.

Russ, I respectfully suspect you are the one missing the point.

I agree no model is perfect.

This thread was started by someone pointing out some of the flaws in a teaching model used for beginers.

A respected teacher at that level has stated that s(he) finds it at best unhelpful in teaching at that level.

Several others have leapt to the defence of the model regardless of whether it actually helps beginners.

[edit]

I agree that some aspects of electrical circuit behaviour can be modeled by considering pressure drops in pipes. I have never said otherwise.

But there are other models, which may model some things better,
I'm sorry to say I am witnessing what seem to me as a newcomer to be attacks on those proposing other models.

[/edit]

Is this rational debate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your scenario is self-contradictory, if you connect one terminal only then the resistance is infininte.

Certainly stirred up a hornets nest here.

Why is what I said self contradictory?
It is perfectly consistent. The connection has as low a resistance as you care to name.

But

The other terminal is not connected.

This is perfectly consistent with the one pipe / one wire scenario.

And my main objection to the pipe analogy. A piped system does not require to be a circuit to be useful. An electrical one does.

And the concept of a circuit is very fundamental and very important to introduce to a beginner, which I understand this thead is all about.

And yes I agree that in the pressure model a battery is equivalent to a pump. It may also be equivalent to a pump in the height model, but there are other mechanisms that do not develop pressure difference, that can also be used to model batteries in the height model.

Studiot said:
Why is what I said self contradictory?
It is perfectly consistent. The connection has as low a resistance as you care to name.

But

The other terminal is not connected.

This is perfectly consistent with the one pipe / one wire scenario.
OK, I understand what you are talking about, but the analogy is good in this scenario too:
Pump outlet to pipe to lake with no pipe from lake to pump inlet -> no flow
Cathode to wire to ground with no wire from ground to anode -> no current

Your objection on this point is simply wrong. If you want to criticize an analogy you need to actually use the analogy correctly and show where it still fails even when used correctly.

DaleSpam I object.

If you simply criticize my statements we can have a rational discussion.

But you criticize me as well.

This is a pity because your application of your analogy is fallacious.

Connecting only one port of a pump is not analagous to connecting only one terminal of a battery.

By itself a pump is not a faithful analog of a battery as a battery is an electrical energy source between its terminals.

A pump on the other hand is just a pump between its ports. The analog is only made real by adding the reservoir. So a true analog would be the pump plus reservoir. The ports corresponding to the battery terminals are then the pump outlet and the reservoir inlet.

And of course if you connect a single pipe to this outlet and turn on the tap you will get wet.

Totally unlike a battery where you have to make a connection to both terminals to obtain electricity.

An ideal battery supplies constant voltage. An ideal centrifugal pump supplies a constant pressure. An ideal positive displacement pump, on the other hand supplies a constant volume of fluid. It is equivalent to a consatnt current source. With this difference recognized the analogy is good. But a reservoir has no equivalent element of correspondence within the ideal battery.

Studiot said:
And of course if you connect a single pipe to this outlet and turn on the tap you will get wet.

Totally unlike a battery where you have to make a connection to both terminals to obtain electricity.

You have improperly connected the battery. Air is a medium where the water is free to flow. Air is not a medium where current is free to flow.

In contradition to the analogy you have not embedded your battery in a equivalent conducting medium where charge is free to flow.

If you wish to criticize an analogy you might put some effort into understanding it.

Last edited:

You have improperly connected the battery. Air is a medium where the water is free to flow. Air is not a medium where current is free to flow.

Would you like to expand on this statement?

Studiot said:
No

The analog is
Volts (V) = Height or head (H)
Charge (q) = mass m
Current I = dq/dt = rate of mass flow dm/dt
Power = VI = ghdm/dt
Energy = VIdt = Vq = ghm

Edit
Regretfully I rushed headlong into an old beartrap. Ouch.
The product VI is of course power.
Energy is the time integral/sum of power.

Yes of course you're right : It's 'Joules per Coulomb'
But it's much further from Newtons or Pascals etc than Energy and that's the gripe.

Studiot said:
Would you like to expand on this statement?
(Post 77)
If we were fish, we might be having a different argument about the analogies. We would need to have end caps on all our cut wires - just as plumbers need to cap off the ends of water pipes. We tend to take for granted that an air gap is just a very high impedance circuit element.

Here's an interesting quirk of language which I have found confuses some foreign students.
An OPEN switch is one which doesn't permit a current to flow and a CLOSED one does.
OTOH
A CLOSED tap prevents flow and an OPEN tap allows it.
These confusions run deep.

Studiot said:
If you simply criticize my statements we can have a rational discussion.

But you criticize me as well.
Please quote the specific statement I made where you believe I criticized you instead of your statements. That was certainly not my intent, but I understand that this is a difficult medium to communicate sometimes and it is certainly possible to unintentionally criticize the person instead of the statement.

Last edited:

Studiot said:
The analogy is

Volts (V) = Height or head (H)
Charge (q) = mass m
Current I = dq/dt = rate of mass flow dm/dt
Power = VI = ghdm/dt
Energy = VIdt = Vq = ghm
Wasn't this originally just about voltage, not all the other analogies? For voltage, you left out the field intensity term. Voltage = E(h) x h, where E(h) is the field intensity at h. Gravitational potential = g(h) x h.

Analogy using an infinitely large disk with a finite negative charge or finite amount of gravity per unit area, and "h" as distance from that disk:

Intensity= -E (Newtons / coulomb) => gravitational intensity = -g (Newtons / kilogram)
Force = -Eq => -gm
volt = joule / coulomb
potential = V (volts) = Eh => gh = V (joule / kilogram)
potential energy = U (joules) = Eqh => gmh = U (joules)

Power for a moving fixed amount of charge or mass:
power = Eq (dh/dt) = q (dV/dt) => gm (dh/dt) = m (dV/dt)

Power for a contintous flow of charge or mass bewteen two points in space:
I = dq/dt
ṁ = dm/dt
power = E (dq/dt) (dh/dt) = (dq/dt) (dV/dt) = I (dV/dt) => g (dm/dt) (dh/dt) = (dm/dt) (dV/dt) = ṁ (dV/dt)

Last edited:

Studiot said:
Connecting only one port of a pump is not analagous to connecting only one terminal of a battery.

By itself a pump is not a faithful analog of a battery as a battery is an electrical energy source between its terminals.

A pump on the other hand is just a pump between its ports. The analog is only made real by adding the reservoir. So a true analog would be the pump plus reservoir. The ports corresponding to the battery terminals are then the pump outlet and the reservoir inlet.

I try to avoid the word reservoir because it can be taken to mean a man-made lake or a tank. If you mean a lake, either man-made or natural, then the top of the lake is equivalent to ground, a place where the water/charge is all at the same potential and where lots of flow/current can easily go in or out without changing the potential.

A disconnected wire is analogous to a pipe with an end cap, as sophiecentaur has pointed out. They are both places where flow/current cannot go regardless of pressure/voltage and both represent an infinite resistance to ground.

A pump is in fact analogous to a battery, both are the source of the pressure/voltage for the flow/current but neither are a source of the water/charge itself. They both have two ports, with a pressure/voltage difference between them and the flow/current in one port being equal to the flow/current out of the other port.

A pump with the inlet connected to a lake would be equivalent to a battery with the anode connected to ground. If you wish to disconnect the battery from ground then you must also disconnect the pump from the lake to maintain the analogy.

you cannot say that pressure is force.both are different.pressure is something you give continousally which cause some drastic change..but force can become pressure

I hope you all realize that no one can be 'right' about this.
But, clearly, some of you have definitely got a few things wrong about the real Physics involved.
I just hope that people will use analogies with care and avoid their 'students' going away with drastically wrong ideas. I have just been on two courses, well accredited by a major recreational organisation and the tutors, although knowing more than enough to give us all the necessary information for the purposes of the course, had far too limited a grasp of the Physics involved to pass on any sense of 'why' things were happening. Other attendees were left worse than when they started.

Hello Dale this was the comment I felt attacked me personally.

If you want to criticize an analogy you need to actually use the analogy correctly and show where it still fails even when used correctly.

I accept your susbsequent statement that this was not meant in a personal way, but if you look at the posts around that one you will see why I was feeling 'got at'.

So no hard feelings there.

However I cannot accept a statement that a battery is equivalent in any way to pump.

A battery is a primary energy souce, which is the reason I chose it.
A pump is not.
Period.

I have expressed no objection to saying to a 12 year old

"Voltage is a sort of electrical pressure that forces current through a circuit, but there are differences."

But, as Sophie says, Teachers of 12 year olds should understand the fundamental differences between the two systems and be prepared to offer suitable explanations thereof.

One view is that the most fundamental difference is that pumping fluid is about mass transport. The fluid mass by itself is just that. It requires an external potential field to obtain or absorb work. A pump has to be supplied with an external energy source. A gravitational or other field could also be used.

By contrast electric circuits are about transport of energy or perhaps charge in some circumstances. Once a source of EMF is connected no further energy/work input is required.

A slight different view is that in an odd sort of way the two are (almost) duals. Both are about energy transport.

One the one hand you have lots of mass and have to supply a potential field to transport energy.

On the other you have a potential field and have to supply lots of charge to transport energy.

It is OK to shift lots of mass from A to B and leave it there.
It is far from OK to shift lots of charge from A to B and not return it back to A.

Studiot said:
However I cannot accept a statement that a battery is equivalent in any way to pump.

A battery is a primary energy souce, which is the reason I chose it.
A pump is not.
Period.
I think this statement goes way too far. The pump is not equivalent to a battery in that way (being a primary energy source). But as I have pointed out above there are plenty of other ways in which they are equivalent. As long as I stick to those other ways in which they are equivalent then my use of the analogy is fine.

Also, so what? Why would a circuit care if it were driven by a primary energy source like a battery or a secondary energy source like a waveform generator with identical voltage and impedance?

OK, nitpick accepted - in fact I did say in a post backalong that in some models a battery is equivalent to a pump.

Having got that out of the way, how about answering my comment on grounds?
I have even provided a nice clean thread for the purpose.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=382007

This thread has run its course. Locked.