Why does light bend,not just slow down?

• Thread starter jadelamlam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: One wheel is on a denser surface (like water), while the other is on a less dense surface (like air). When the OP understands how that works, then he can answer his own question.
jadelamlam
When a light beam passes from an optically denser medium to an optically less dense medium(and vice versa),the direction and the speed of light changes.
My question is why light must bend when it goes from one medium to another.
Say,it goes from air to water. Water is optically denser than air, which means the speed of light in air is higher than the speed of light in water.Why doesn't the light just slow down in water, why does it have to bend in the process?

Science news on Phys.org
If you search google images for "refraction" you will find diagrams explaining this.

500px-Refraction_-_Huygens-Fresnel_principle.svg.png

img_full_46721.gif

Is this phenomenon related to force/torque/direction of velocity?As force is required to change the direction of object.Seems that there isn't any "force" in this situation.
I just can't imagine why the difference in velocity will cause light rays to bend.
(I have not learned waves yet.I have learned heat,mechanics and light.)

The law of refraction can be derived from the Fermat's Principle/Principle of least time, which states that light follows the path of least time.

Wave moves into the direction that the wave fronts of the wave are facing.

And the wave fronts are mangled, when different parts of wave fronts have different velocities.

Here is a picture of three wave fronts: | | |
That wave moves either into this direction: --> , or into this direction: <--

Here is a better wave front picture:
http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Wavefront2.png

Last edited:
A.T. said:
If you search google images for "refraction" you will find diagrams explaining this.

500px-Refraction_-_Huygens-Fresnel_principle.svg.png

[..]
One picture can say more than a thousand words. :smile:
Perhaps useful to add that it applies the Huygens construction:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huygens–Fresnel_principle
When the OP understands how that works, then he can answer his own question. :smile:

Jadelamlam, you only need to understand that a wave propagates at constant speed (depending on the medium) in all directions, as you can see when you throw a stone in the water; and that a wave front (green straight lines in the drawing here above) can be thought of as the sum of many little waves (grey half circles).
Next, you have to take a pencil (not a pen, for surely you'll use your eraser!) and try for yourself.

Last edited:
jadelamlam said:
I just can't imagine why the difference in velocity will cause light rays to bend. (I have not learned waves yet.I have learned heat,mechanics and light.)
Okay, here a simple mechanical analogy, a rolling axle with two wheels represents the wavefront. The wheels have different rolling resistance on different surfaces:

WheelAxleWavefront002.gif

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scidemos/LightOptics/WheelAxleWavefront/WheelAxleWavefront.html

refract.gif

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/refract.htm

A.T. said:
Okay, here a simple mechanical analogy, a rolling axle with two wheels represents the wavefront. The wheels have different rolling resistance on different surfaces:
[..]
Yes, that's a good example if presented as an axle with two independently rolling wheels connected to it.

1. Why does light bend when it passes through different mediums?

Light bends when it passes through different mediums because of a phenomenon called refraction. This is caused by the change in speed of light as it travels from one medium to another, which results in the change in direction of the light ray.

2. How does the speed of light affect its bending?

The speed of light is directly related to its bending. As light enters a medium with a different optical density, its speed changes, causing the light ray to change direction. The greater the change in speed, the greater the bending of light.

3. Why does light slow down in different mediums?

The speed of light is determined by the density and properties of the medium it is traveling through. When light enters a medium with a higher density, such as water or glass, it interacts with the molecules in the medium, causing it to slow down.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the bending of light?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light ray enters the medium, plays a crucial role in the bending of light. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the change in speed and direction of the light ray.

5. Why does light bend more in some mediums than others?

The amount of bending of light depends on the refractive index of the medium, which is a measure of how much the speed of light changes in that medium. The higher the refractive index, the more the light bends when passing through that medium.