Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why does Matter cause inertia?

Tags:
  1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    So, one of my friends posed this question to me, with some background on vibrations on the Higgs Field, But, he also said that doesn't explain why matter causes inertia. As, if that accepted theory is true, it should simply create big, choppy waves. I apologize if my writing is confusing, and I thank those that take the time to answer this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think it's right to say matter causes inertia, but rather that inertia is a property of matter Similarly, matter doesn't cause length but rather length is a property of matter. So ... inertia isn't "caused" any more than length is.

Now, I'm no expert on these kind of fundamental questions so it could be that one of our more knowledgeable members will jump in with something better.

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think, it's already the complete answer. Physics just describes nature, it cannot explain why nature is the way it is. As phinds points out the observables we assign to phenomena are just quantified properties of these phenomena. They have been found to be useful to describe nature and that's why we use them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted