Why does my battery behave like this?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage and charging capabilities of a pack of four 4-volt sealed lead acid batteries. The person is concerned about the middle cells going above 5 volts while the other two cells stay at 4.8 volts. The pack is rated at 16 volts and 8 aH, and the person wonders if drawing a drain current of 16 amps will damage the pack. The other person suggests limiting the charging time and regularly testing the voltage. They also clarify that drawing a drain current of 16 amps should not harm the pack.
david90
I have four 4 volts SLA and when I charge it, the two cells in the middle voltage goes up above 5 volts which is way pass the healthy charging voltage. The other two cells voltages stay at 4.8 which is good.

The pack is rated at 16v 8 aH. If I draw 16amp, will it hurt the pack?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
your sealed lead acid batterys are 4V each, if you charge them at 16A ,i believe they may in fact be damaged.. you should limit the time they are charging..and test the voltage periodically...

"If I draw 16amp, will it hurt the pack?"

If the drain current is 16amp not charge current. it is a different question. Charge current is around 2 amp max

The pack is rated at 16v 8 aH. If I draw 16amp, will it hurt the pack?
They will only last 1/2 an hour ,but i don't think it will hurt them , no..

1. Why is my battery losing charge quickly?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the battery is old and needs to be replaced. Another possibility is that the device you are using is draining the battery quickly, such as by running multiple apps or using high battery-consuming features like GPS or video streaming. It is also possible that there is an issue with the battery itself, such as a faulty cell or a problem with the charging system.

2. Why is my battery not holding a charge?

This could be due to a number of factors. One possibility is that the battery is reaching the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced. Another possibility is that there is an issue with the charging system, which may be preventing the battery from reaching a full charge. It is also possible that there is a problem with the device itself, such as a software issue or a hardware malfunction.

3. Why is my battery draining even when not in use?

This is a common issue with many electronic devices. There are a few potential explanations for this behavior. One possibility is that there are background apps or processes running that are consuming battery power. Another possibility is that there is a software bug or glitch causing the battery to drain quickly. It is also possible that there is a hardware issue, such as a faulty component or a damaged battery.

4. Why is my battery not charging?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that the charging cable and outlet are working properly. If they are, then there may be an issue with the charging port on the device or the battery itself. It is also possible that the device is not compatible with the charger you are using. Additionally, some devices have a safety feature that prevents them from charging if the battery temperature is too high.

5. Why is my battery swelling?

This is a serious issue and should be addressed immediately. Battery swelling is typically caused by a buildup of gas inside the battery, which can be caused by overcharging, overheating, or physical damage. Swelling can lead to the battery bursting or catching fire, so it is important to stop using the device and seek professional help to safely dispose of the battery and replace it with a new one.