Why does the acceleration of a pendulum depend on Rθ and not x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
aaaa202
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
2
Okay I hope I can write this so it makes sense what I am thinking.
For a pendulum you have:

Fres = -mgsinθ
And Fres points along the circumference:
So:
mRθ'' = -mgsinθ

I wonna discuss this property that you can just express the acceleration as Rθ''. In a cartesian coordinate frame your acceleration would depend on the characteristic length scale of x. How do you know that the characteristic length scale of Rθ is the same as x? I know it sounds weird, but I hope you understand what I am going at.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I'm not sure what you mean by "characteristic length scale" but I suspect it has to do either with the units of measurement or a specific length in the problem.

The angle, [itex]\theta[/itex] is "dimensionless" so that "[itex]R\theta[/itex]" has the same units as R. Whatever "length scale" you are using for R also applies to [itex]R\theta[/itex].
 


no rather something like this: If we imagine that at some point the x-axis of our coordinate system tangential to the arc then the pendulum will move a distance dx measured in cartesian coordinates. How can we know that dx=rdθ, I mean what is it that says that these differentials are comparable? After all what if we made r bigger?