Why does the bending of space necessitate gravitational effects

In summary: I finally understand what you're saying. In summary, curved space time could redirect things towards the planet when they are moving. What is strange to me is the idea that curved space time itself could move me towards the earth. Gravity it seems to me is an actual pull towards the earth, while curved space-time would seem more like a redirection of force rather than a force itself capable of pulling me back down when I jump in the air. If you guys could explain what I'm misunderstanding that would be great.
Padraic
I understand that space is curved inwards by the mass of the planet and I understand how curved space could redirect things towards the planet when they are moving. What is strange to me is the idea that curved space time itself could move me towards the earth. Gravity it seems to me is an actual pull towards the earth, while curved space-time would seem more like a redirection of force rather than a force itself capable of pulling me back down when I jump in the air. If you guys could explain what I'm misunderstanding that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe GR states the converse; curvature of spacetime does not necessitate gravitational effects, but rather, gravity curves spacetime. This resulting curvature leads to, as you said, the direction of moving objects to the mass.
The gravitational effects are simply the direct product of gravity, space time would not be curved without there being mass.

That makes much more sense to me but at the same time I hear different things. For instance Wikipedia says this:

"Modern physics describes gravitation using the general theory of relativity by Einstein, in which it is a consequence of the curvature of spacetime governing the motion of inertial objects."

And Brian Green has both stated that the moon is held in orbit by the curvature of space time and that it is held in place by the power of gravity so that would seem to imply that he's saying they are the same thing.

What is key to understanding GR is that in Newtonian mechanics, a force initiates acceleration; in the case of a gravitational field in Newtonian mechanics, all points a have a force vector. However, in Einsteinian mechanics, gravitation curves spacetime in a way such that motion occurs without an applied force. Meaning that for a free-falling body, it is as natural to fall towards the mass as it is to move forward in time.

curving of space-time! not just space, you are always progressing through the time dimension of space time, hopefully that clarifies this!

gatz said:
What is key to understanding GR is that in Newtonian mechanics, a force initiates acceleration; in the case of a gravitational field in Newtonian mechanics, all points a have a force vector. However, in Einsteinian mechanics, gravitation curves spacetime in a way such that motion occurs without an applied force. Meaning that for a free-falling body, it is as natural to fall towards the mass as it is to move forward in time.
And then me lifting me arm up is me resisting that general current headed down towards the earth?

I understand that. It still seems like there's a piece missing when things just naturally move along something rather than needing a force to move them.

Trevormbarker said:
curving of space-time! not just space, you are always progressing through the time dimension of space time, hopefully that clarifies this!

But how does traveling through time produce motion? I know they're linked and that traveling through space slows time (according to Brian Green) but how does traveling through time produce motion through space?

when we travel forwards through time we ARE experiencing some kind of motion. Mass and energy bends space-time not just space. I think what you are asking is similar to this: having a ramp in space and placing a ball on the top, the ball would not roll down the ramp. So you are asking what provides the force to "push" objects down the curved space. but its space-time not just space!

Trevormbarker said:
when we travel forwards through time we ARE experiencing some kind of motion. Mass and energy bends space-time not just space. I think what you are asking is similar to this: having a ramp in space and placing a ball on the top, the ball would not roll down the ramp. So you are asking what provides the force to "push" objects down the curved space. but its space-time not just space!

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, the ramp analogy is perfect. I understand that there is space-time but why would time cause me to move in one direction as opposed to another? Time physically moves us along the curvatures of space? When I lift my arm up in the air I'm resisting where time naturally is sending me? When I resist gravity I'm resisting time's pull in a direction?

A.T. said:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb/demomanual/modern_physics/principal_of_equivalence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb..._and_general_relativity/curved_spacetime.html

That is just so weird.

Last edited:
I think you always follow the path of least resistance...so, if you are on the surface of a ball, say the earth, and travel in "A straight line from the north pole to the south pole", you don't remember not going in a straight line...but, you went in as straight a line as far as the compass was concerned.

So, if you are "falling" you follow the path of least resistance, but if space-time is shaped so as to make your path curved towards a source of gravity...your fall towards that gravity might be as direct as your straight line from the north pole to the south pole.

IE: Straight to you, but curved if viewed from the proper perspective.

Newton stated that an object would need to be subjected to a force to deviate from its straight-line path whereas Einstein stated that an object would need to be subjected to a force to deviate from a geodesic.
For the example of your arm, your moving it upwards means you have taken the longer route in space time from time1 to time2.

Newton described gravity as a force because it caused objects to deviate from the straight-line path. Einstein described gravity as a condition of spacetime; the tendency of objects to take the shortest path from point a to point b.

Padraic said:
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, the ramp analogy is perfect. I understand that there is space-time but why would time cause me to move in one direction as opposed to another? Time physically moves us along the curvatures of space? When I lift my arm up in the air I'm resisting where time naturally is sending me? When I resist gravity I'm resisting time's pull in a direction?

That is just so weird.

It is wierd, but that's how it works! I can't seem to find it now but i was stuggling with this awhile ago and one of the mentors gave me an awesome link. But anyways yeah that's relitivities theory on it! I think it is important to understand that it is space time that is curved, not space and once you think about this the answer should start to make more sense.

Tea Jay said:
I think you always follow the path of least resistance...so, if you are on the surface of a ball, say the earth, and travel in "A straight line from the north pole to the south pole", you don't remember not going in a straight line...but, you went in as straight a line as far as the compass was concerned.

So, if you are "falling" you follow the path of least resistance, but if space-time is shaped so as to make your path curved towards a source of gravity...your fall towards that gravity might be as direct as your straight line from the north pole to the south pole.

IE: Straight to you, but curved if viewed from the proper perspective.

But if I put a pencil in the air it should stay in the air unless it is moved in which case it would fall along that path of least resistance to the earth. I follow the idea of the path of least resistance but if I'm simply suspended in air I shouldn't fall to the ground until I try to move in a particular direction. So is it really time that is causing me to move along that path of least resistance?

gatz said:
Newton stated that an object would need to be subjected to a force to deviate from its straight-line path whereas Einstein stated that an object would need to be subjected to a force to deviate from a geodesic.
For the example of your arm, your moving it upwards means you have taken the longer route in space time from time1 to time2.

Newton described gravity as a force because it caused objects to deviate from the straight-line path. Einstein described gravity as a condition of spacetime; the tendency of objects to take the shortest path from point a to point b.
Even if it is the longer path why would it get sent back down once it's there? Why shouldn't it just stay there?

Trevormbarker said:
It is wierd, but that's how it works! I can't seem to find it now but i was stuggling with this awhile ago and one of the mentors gave me an awesome link. But anyways yeah that's relitivities theory on it! I think it is important to understand that it is space time that is curved, not space and once you think about this the answer should start to make more sense.

I guess. Still weird though.

If there was a point in space where it wasn't curved by anything what direction would time move you.

Padraic said:
Even if it is the longer path why would it get sent back down once it's there? Why shouldn't it just stay there?

Because just as the the shortest path from time1 to time2 was towards the mass, it will always be the shorter path to go towards the mass. The reason your arm doesn't just stay there is because staying in the same place from time1 to time2 is the longer path in 4-D spacetime.

Padraic said:
If there was a point in space where it wasn't curved by anything what direction would time move you.

If there was absolutely no curvature, progression in time would still leave you in the same place. In classical mechanics, you would say there is no force acting on you so you would remain at rest.

Well I guess that answers all my questions about gravity. Thanks guys.

Padraic said:
But if I put a pencil in the air it should stay in the air unless it is moved
No, because the pencil still moves along the time-dimension. And if space-time is curved it will deviate from that direction, and start moving along the spatial dimensions as well. Here is a rocket (engines are off) instead of a pencil:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/relativity.swf
Set initial speed to 0 and gravity to something other that 0 to simulate free fall from intial rest.
Padraic said:
If space time is not curved you keep your initial direction in space time, when free falling. If you start out at rest in space, advancing only along the time dimension, you keep doing so.

I've finally got it down in my mind. Cool link btw.

1. Why does the bending of space cause objects to be attracted to each other?

The bending of space, also known as the curvature of space, is a result of the presence of mass or energy. This curvature is what we experience as gravity, which causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. Essentially, the more mass an object has, the more it bends space and the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. How does the bending of space explain the motion of planets around the sun?

The bending of space explains the motion of planets around the sun through the concept of inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to keep moving in a straight line unless it is acted upon by a force. In the case of planets, the force of gravity from the sun causes the planets to continuously fall towards it, but the curvature of space causes them to follow a curved path around the sun instead of falling directly into it.

3. Is the bending of space the same as the warping of space-time?

Yes, the bending of space and the warping of space-time are two ways of describing the same phenomenon. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy cause the fabric of space-time to curve and warp, resulting in the effects of gravity.

4. Can the bending of space be observed or measured?

Yes, the bending of space has been observed and measured through various experiments and observations. One notable example is the deflection of light from distant stars as it passes near massive objects like the sun. This deflection is caused by the curvature of space and has been confirmed by multiple observations, such as the 1919 solar eclipse expedition led by Sir Arthur Eddington.

5. How does the bending of space affect the passage of time?

The bending of space and the warping of space-time also affect the passage of time. This is because the strength of gravity, which is determined by the amount of curvature in space, can slow down or speed up the passage of time. This phenomenon, known as gravitational time dilation, has been observed and measured using atomic clocks on Earth and in space. The closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time passes for that object compared to a more distant observer.