Why does the cosine series of sin x give |sin x|?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
tiagotorres
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I tried to find the cosine series of the function [tex]f(x) = \sin x[/tex], using the equation below:

[tex]S(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos(nx)[/tex]
where: [tex]a_n = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} f(x) \cos(nx) dx[/tex]

I found:

[tex]a_0 = \frac{4}{\pi}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac{2 }{\pi (1 - n^2)} (\cos(n \pi) + 1)[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]S(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} (1 - 2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(2nx)}{4n^2 - 1})[/tex]

Making the graph of the first terms of the function above on my calculator, I noticed that this is actually [tex]| \sin x |[/tex], rather than just [tex]\sin x[/tex]. Why does this happen? Is there a way of figuring out the sum not using a calculator?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sinx is nonegative between 0 and pi, so sinx=|sinx| there.