1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Fourier Series into a Cosine Series

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. Represent f(x)=|x| in -2<x<2 with a complex Fourier series

b. Show that the complex Fourier Series can be rearranged into a cosine series

c. Take the derivative of that cosine series. What function does the resulting series represent?

2. Relevant equations

L%7D%2C%20-L%3Cx%3CL.gif

L%7Ddx.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so the first part seems pretty straight forward, I plugged the variables in, and due to the absolute value broke the integral up from -2 to 0 and then from 0 to -2 and added them together.

Providing I made no errors (I hope...), I get

%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%20%28%7Be%5E%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%7D%20-%20%7Be%5E%7B-in%5Cpi%7D%29%7D%5D.gif

Using Euler's, I simplify this to:

1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%5B2cos%28n%5Cpi%29%20-%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%202i%20sin%28n%5Cpi%29%5D.gif

which, since for each n the sin (n pi) will become 0, my assumption is the above simply becomes (...?):

gif.latex?C_n%3D%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%5B2cos%28n%5Cpi%29%20%5D.gif

I am completely befuddled as to how to move into part b though... I also don’t know what to do with the n’s of the summation. So far, all the cosine series I've done so far have been summed from 0 to ∞ - I don’t know what to do with the -∞ to 0 part of the summation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suggest that you check again your calculation of ##C_n##. The integral of ##C_n## can be simplified to
    $$
    C_n = \frac{1}{2L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) e^{in\pi x/L} dx = \frac{1}{2L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} dx
    $$
    The integral with ##i\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}## vanishes because the product ##f(x)\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}## forms an odd function. In this regard, I would expect ##C_n## to be real for any ##n##.

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that a summation index is just a place holder that takes on a value: $$\sum_{i=-\infty}^0 g(i) = \sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} g(-i)$$

[edit] should have used ##n## instead of ##i## to avoid confusion, sorry. I mean a sum over integer numbers

5. Apr 15, 2016 #4
    Thank you two so much for your insight! I was making a silly error when integrating the absolute value.

I'm still getting a little stuck (very stuck) on b: "Show that the complex Fourier Series can be rearranged into a cosine series"

So, for part A: Represent /x/ with a complex Fourier Series, after correcting my C_n calculations, I got the answer of:

[itex]
    C_n = \frac{2 cos (n\pi ) -2}{(n\pi)^2}

[/itex]

[itex]f(x) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} C_ne^{-in\pi x /2}[/itex] , -2 < x < 2

Now, for part B, I have to rearrange this into a cosine series....I was trying to start by using Euler's identity to start:

[itex]f(x) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} C_ne^{-in\pi x /2}[/itex]

[itex]= C_n [cos (\frac{n\pi x}{2})-isin(\frac{n\pi x}{2})][/itex]

....and this is as far as I get. I think (if my understanding of the material is correct) that I could make a conceptual argument as to why it can be just represented with the cosine series using some graphs that have been shown to me, but I don't know what I need to do to show it via formulas....

Thanks very much for reading and any help you can offer...

6. Apr 15, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Except for ##n=0##, for each ##n=m##, you also have ##n=-m## in the Fourier series. You have figured out that the Fourier coefficient looks like
    $$
    C_n = \frac{2 \cos (n\pi ) -2}{(n\pi)^2}
    $$
    Now compare this coefficient for ##n=m## and ##n=-m##, how do you conclude about the relation between them? Then consider the two terms out of the series which correspond to ##n=\pm m##
    $$
    C_m e^{-im\pi x/L} + C_{-m} e^{im\pi x/L}
    $$
    Taking the relation between ##C_m## and ##C_{-m}## you have found before, how can you simplify them?

7. Apr 15, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very good you fixed your intergration issue. ##1\over n^2## sounds a lot better than ##1\over n##.
    You are way overthinking things: part a asked for the complex coefficients ##C_n## in $$f(x) = \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty C_n e^{-in\pi/L}$$ and you found them.

Drat, blueleaf was faster (a lot faster!) and he's good.

8. Apr 15, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

May be, the timezone also has effect? I live in GMT+07.00 where it's currently approaching the dusk, if you are in the same zone as the US then I imagine it must be around breakfast time right now.

9. Apr 15, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

GMT+1 -- after lunch dip :smile:

Even the GMT+1 isn't good enough/unambiguous nowadays. They cheat and call it CET

10. Apr 16, 2016 #9
    So I casually stumbled upon this problem and tried solving the problem on my own just for fun, but doesn't quite get the answer to part B and C. For B, do you just ignored the sine portion of the Euler's identity since f(x) is an even function?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  11. Apr 16, 2016 #10

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you read through this post at least until post #6, you should get the hint why the sine terms do not appear.

12. Apr 16, 2016 #11
    Could you elaborate a bit on how this is supposed to rearrange the complex series to cosine series? Sorry, just really lost haha

13. Apr 17, 2016 #12

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a look at this.

14. Apr 17, 2016 #13
    So this is the work i've done and attempt to solve the last part. Could you take a look and see if there are mistakes? Thanks a lot.
    https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t34.0-12/12966620_10153752402479331_217279662_n.jpg?oh=9654213d445a9df020ce5fbf28c18fad&oe=5715E168

15. Apr 17, 2016 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it doesn't represent the sine function...
    beware the PF rules: the OP has to have something to do left over ...

16. Apr 17, 2016 #15
    Thanks for all your help, all. The posts through #6 clued me in as to how to actually show the sines do indeed disappear, and now I understand WHY, instead of just taking it as gospel that it does. The work shown above helped me confirm my understanding (and the work I turned in) was correct. And, lastly, that derivative represents f'(x) = d/dx /x/.

Really, really appreciate it! I wasn't grasping some of the concepts at play here; thanks so much!

17. Apr 17, 2016 #16

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Also known as a square wave, which is probably what they were looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted